5

MILLIES POV

Professor Lupin came back a few minutes after that, when my hand was safely back in my own lap and the lights had been switched on again.

He paused as he entered, looked around and said, with a small smile, "I haven't poisoned that chocolate, you know..."

I watched as Ron ate his piece, and sure enough, he didn't keel over and die. I took a bite of my own bit and to my great surprise, felt warmth spread suddenly to the tips of my fingers and toes.

"We'll be at Hogwarts in ten minutes," Lupin told us. "Are you all right, Harry?"

Harry nodded. "Fine, thanks."

Not long after, the train stopped at Hogsmeade station and there was a great scramble to get out; owls hooted, cats miaowed, and Neville's pet toad croaked loudly from under his hat. It was freezing on the tiny platform; rain was driving down in icy sheets.

"Firs'-years this way!" called a familiar voice. I turned to see the gigantic outline of Hagrid at the other end of the platform, beckoning the terrified-looking new students forward for their traditional journey across the lake.

"All righ', you four?" Hagrid yelled to Harry, Mione, Ron and I over the heads of the crowd. We waved at him, but had no chance to talk because of the mass of people around us were shunting us away along the platform. We followed the rest of the school out onto a rough mud track, where at least a hundred stagecoaches awaited the reanimating students, each pulled, I could only assume, by an invisible horse, because when we climbed inside one and shut the door, the coach set off all by itself, bumping and swaying in procession.

As the carriage trundled towards a pair of magnificent stout-iron gates, flanked with stone columns topped with winged boats, I saw two more towering, hooded Dementors, standing guard on either side. I felt Harry stiffen next to me, and glanced beside me to see his eyes shut, his hair wet from the rain. Even though he was obviously scared, I couldn't deny it - it was a beautiful sight. Mione and Ron began waving eagerly to get my attention, pointing between Harry and I and laughing silently. I copied their actions, pointing between the two of them, which quickly shut them up.

The carriage picked up speed on the long, sloping drive up to the castle; Ron and I swapped seats so that Mione and I could lean out of the window and watch the many turrets and towers draw nearer together. At last, the carriage swayed to a halt, and Harry, Ron and Mione got out.

As I stepped down, my eyes immediately landed on Harry and Malfoy, who were glaring at each other angrily. I groaned, marching over to them.

"...you fainted, Potter?" Malfoy was saying delightedly. "Is Longbottom telling the truth? You actually fainted?"

"Shove off, Malfoy," said Ron, whose fists were clenched.

"Did you faint as well, Weasley? Did the scary old Dementor frighten you, too, Weas-"

"Is there a problem?" said a mild voice. Professor Lupin had just got out of the next carriage.

Malfoy gave Lupin an insolent stare, which took in the patches on his robes and the dilapidated suitcase. With a hint of sarcasm in his voice, he said, "Oh, no - er - Professor," then he smirked at Crabbe and Goyle and led them up the stairs into the castle.

"Thanks, Sir," I said, grinning at the man. He smiled in return, nodding his head. Mione grabbed my hand and led me up the steps, through the giant oak front doors, and into the cavernous Entrance Hall, which was lit with flaming torches and housed a magnificent marble staircase which led to the upper floors.

"Hang on," I told Mione, pulling her back. I took out my wand and pointed it at her clothes, saying, "exaresco." Hot air streamed from the tip, instantly drying her clothes. She thanked me gratefully as I did the same to myself.