24

MILLIES POV

A sudden breeze ran through my skin. Harry had me in a head-lock, so I resisted his grip and peered over the table at the door - I nearly choked.

Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick had just entered the pub in a flurry of snowflakes, shortly followed by Hagrid, who was deep in conversation with a portly man in a lime-green bowler hat and a pinstriped cloak: Cornelius Fudge - the Minister for Magic.

"Fuck," I mumbled, removing Harry's arm from my neck, just as Ron placed both hands on the top of his head and forced him off his stool and under the table. Mione grabbed his tankard and dropped it on the floor with him, where I heard a low yelp - the Butterbeer had clearly just spilt all over Harry. I stuffed my fist in my mouth to stop myself laughing, while Mione whispered, "Mobiliarbus!" The Christmas tree rose a few inches off the ground, drifted sideways and landed with a soft thump right in front of our table, hiding us from view. Staring through the dense branches, I saw four people sit down on the table right beside ours, then heard the grunts and sighs of the teachers and Minister as they sat down.

Next I heard a woman's voice, and sure enough, I recognised the apron Madam Rosmerta had been wearing appear in front of them.

"A small Gillywater-"

"Mine," came Professor McGonagall's voice.

"Four pints of mulled mead-"

"Ta, Rosmerta," said Hagrid.

"A cherry syrup and soda with ice and an umbrella-"

"Mmm!" Flitwick exclaimed, smacking his lips.

"So you'll be the redcurrant rum, Minister."

"Thank you, Rosmerta, m'dear," said Fudge's voice. "Lovely to see you again, I must say. Have one yourself, won't you? Come and join us..."

"Well, thank you very much, Minister."

I watched Madam Rosmerta march away. My heart was pounding uncomfortably in my throat. Why hadn't it occurred to me that this was the last weekend of term for the teachers, too? And how long were they going to sit there? Harry needed time to sneak back into Honeydukes if he wanted to return to school tonight...

I glanced at Mione, who was staring at me.

"I told you," she mouthed, shaking her head. I didn't say anything, just returned my gaze back to the tree, where I could just make out Madam Rosmerta returning.

"So, what brings you to this neck of the woods, Minister?" came her voice.

I saw Fudge's thick body twist in his chair as though he was checking for eavesdroppers. Then he said in a quiet voice, "What else, m'dear, but Sirius Black? I daresay you heard what happened up at the school at Halloween?"

"I did hear a rumour," Madam Rosmerta admitted.

"Did you tell the whole pub, Hagrid?" said Professor McGonagall exasperatedly. I let out a breathy laugh at the look of guilt on Hagrid's face.

"Do you think Black's still in the area, Minister?" Madam Rosmerta whispered.

"I'm sure of it," Fudge answered shortly.

"You know that the Dementors have searched my pub twice?" she said, a slight edge to her voice. "Scared all my customers away...it's very bad for business, Minister."

"Rosmerta, m'dear, I don't like them any more than you do," said Fudge uncomfortably. "Necessary precaution...unfortunate, but there you are...I've just met some of them. They're in a fury against Dumbledore - he won't let them inside the castle grounds."