50

MILLIES POV

Hagrid presided over the Care of Magical Creatures exam the following morning with a very preoccupied air indeed; his heart didn't seem to be in it at all. He had provided a large tub of fresh Flobberworms for the class, and told us that, to pass the test, our Flobberworm had to still be alive at the end of one hour. As Flobberworms flourished best if left to their own devices, it was the easiest exam I had ever sat, and also gave Mione and I plenty of opportunity to speak to Hagrid, who, according to Elwood and Austin, was distraught.

"Beaky's gettin' a bit depressed," Hagrid told us, bending low on the pretence of checking that Mione's Flobberworm was still alive. "Bin cooped up too long. But still...we'll know day after tomorrow - one way or the other."

We had Potions that afternoon, which was an unqualified disaster. Try as I might, I couldn't get my Confusing Concoction to thicken, and Snape, standing watch with an air of vindictive pleasure, built my anger up so much that I accidentally exploded my Potion, drenching myself and Snape. Furious was an understatement, and he had immediately scribbled something that looked a lot like a zero on his notes before giving me a detention.

"I can't believe you did that, Mills," Harry continued with a laugh as we left the Dungeons. "Told you, all that studying was for nothing!"

"It's not my fault!" I argued stiffly, shooting Malfoy a cold glare as he boasted loudly about how good his exam had gone. "Snape was practically laughing at me the whole time!"

"He probably wanted to get back at you for, hang on, let me think" - Harry paused for a moment, before nudging me teasingly - "for literally every time you've ever spoken to him."

"Haha," I mumbled, without smiling. Since I was eleven it had been my dream to become an Auror just like Dad, and with Snape as my Potion's Professor, I couldn't see that coming true anytime soon.

"Ah, don't worry, Mills," said Harry teasingly, though his voice was soft as he nudged my shoulder with his. "We can fail together."

"Oh, brilliant," I said sarcastically, but allowed a smile to break out onto my face.

Then Mione and I had to use the timetuners to get to Ancient Runes on time, and let me just say, it went absolutely terribly; then came Muggle Studies, which I found extremely easy, the hardest question being Using your own knowledge, describe the similarities and differences between a 'Dishwasher' and a 'Washing Machine'.

I went to bed really early that night, considering I had to be awake and alert for the Astronomy exam, which took place at midnight.

I was running. From what, I wasn't sure. All I knew was what the thing kept barking, like a dog. It was fast, but I was faster. My legs began to ache, the wind whistling in my ears as I turned a corner-

-I bashed right into someone, letting out a small yelp as I fell into the persons arms, looking up to meet a pair of emerald-green eyes.

"I've got you, Mills, always," Harry muttered, wrapping his arms very tightly around me and burying his face in my hair.

"Promise?" I croaked, turning my face up to look at him.

Harry smiled. "I promise."

And he pressed his lips to mine, in a slow and gentle kiss. I had just placed my hand on his cheek, when Dad suddenly appeared, screaming at Harry for 'taking advantage' of me. Then we were on the Astronomy Tower, and Harry took one look at me and pushed me off. I was falling, falling rapidly through the air-

I woke with a start. It was a few seconds before I remembered that I hadn't actually been running, and in fact been asleep. What the bloody hell was that all about? I snorted quietly at the thought of someone falling off the Astronomy Tower, going to pull the covers over my face, when a distressed scream made me sit up rapidly.