13

MILLIES POV

"Now then," said Professor Lupin, beckoning the class towards the end of the room, where there was nothing except an old wardrobe. As he went to stand next to it, the wardrobe gave a sudden wobble, banging off the wall.

"Nothing to worry about," said Professor Lupin calmly, as a few people jumped backwards in alarm. "There's a Boggart in there."

Most people seemed to think that this was something to worry about. Neville gave Professor Lupin a look of pure terror, and Seamus eyed the now rattling doorknob apprehensively.

"Boggarts like dark, enclosed spaces," Professor Lupin explained. "Wardrobes, the gap beneath beds, the cupboards under sinks - I once met one that lodged itself in a grandfather clock. This one moved in yesterday afternoon, and I asked the Headmaster if the staff would leave it to give my third-years some practice. So, the first question we must ask ourselves is, what is a Boggart?"

Mione put up her hand.

"It's a shape-shifter," she said. "It can take the shape of whatever it thinks will frighten us most."

"Couldn't have put it better myself," said Professor Lupin, and Mione glowed. "So the Boggart sitting in the darkness within has not yet assumed a form. He does not yet know what will frighten the person on the other side of the door. Nobody knows what a Boggart looks like when he is alone, but when I let him out, he will immediately become whatever each of us must fears. This means," he continued, choosing to ignore Neville's small splutter of terror, "that we have a huge advantage over the Boggart before we begin. Have you spotted it, Harry?"

I glanced at Harry, who was ruffling his raven-hair with his hand.

"Er - because there are so many of us, it won't know what shape it should be?"

"Precisely, Harry," said Professor Lupin, and Harry sent me a wink, to which I grimaced. "It's always best to have company when you're dealing with a Boggart. He becomes confused. Which should he become, a headless corpse of a flesh-eating slug? The charm that repels a Boggart is simple, yet it requires force of mind. You see, the thing that really finishes a Boggart is laughter. What you need to do is force it to assume a shape that you find amusing. We will practice the charm without wands first. After me, please...riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" said the class together.

"Good," said Professor Lupin. "Very good. But that was the easy part, I'm afraid. You see, the word alone is not enough. And this is where you come in, Neville."

The wardrobe shook again, though not as much as Neville, who walked forward as though he was heading for the gallows.

"That's how I feel right now," Harry whispered to me, nodding at Neville.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why?"

"Because I can't stop thinking about your Dad!" Harry exclaimed, shaking his head.

"I thought it was me you liked, not my Dad?" I teased, smirking.

Harry rolled his eyes; he looked genuinely scared.

I grinned.

"Right, Neville," said Professor Lupin. "First things first: what would you say is the thing that frightens you the most in the world?"

Neville's lips moved, but no noise came out.

"Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry," said Professor Lupin cheerfully.

Neville looked around rather wildly, as though begging for someone to help him, then said, in barely more than a whisper, "Professor Snape."

Nearly everyone laughed. Even Neville grinned apologetically. Professor Lupin, however, looked thoughtful.