21

MILLIES POV

I rose fast, but my Nimbus Two Thousand was swerving slightly with the wind. I held it as steady as I could and turned, squinting into the rain.

Within five minutes I was soaked to my skin and frozen, hardly able to see my team-mates, let alone the Quaffle. I couldn't hear the commentary over the wind either. The crowd was hidden beneath a set of cloaks and battered umbrellas. I had scored once already, in a blur of red and yellow, but now all I could see was water. That was until-

"MILLIE!"

I heard Katie's cry just in turn to spin around and catch the Quaffle into my hand. I zoomed off in the direction that I hoped was the Slytherin hoops, fighting through the harsh wind and rain. Something yellow tried to block my path and I remembered Oliver's advice about swerving, so I rapidly dipped my broom, missing the Hufflepuff by inches.

"ANGELINA!"

I lobbed the Quaffle in the direction of a red shape, and sure enough, Angelina caught it and tossed it through the middle hoop.

I lost track of time. It was getting harder and harder to hold my broom straight. The sky was getting darker, as though night had decided to come early. Twice I nearly hit another player, without knowing whether it was a team-mate or opponent; everyone was now so wet, and the rain so thick, I could hardly tell them apart...

With the first flash of lightning came the sound of Madam Hooch's whistle; I could see the outline of Oliver through the thick rain, gesturing us to the ground. The whole team splashed down into the mud.

"I called for time out!" Oliver roared. "Come on, over here!"

Someone grabbed my arm and pulled me into them; Harry was completely drenched, wiping his glasses frantically.

"So, did you see the Snitch anywhere?" I shouted sarcastically.

Harry smirked. "Are you mocking me, Donovan-"

"We're fifty points up," said Oliver, guiding us to the edge of the pitch under a large umbrella. We all huddled underneath it, "but unless we get the Snitch soon, we'll be playing into the night."

"I've got no chance we've these on," Harry said exasperatedly, waving his glasses.

At that very moment, I felt a tingling in my fingers - my power. I whipped my wand out from the inside of my pocket and said, "Harry, give me your glasses, quick!"

He handed them to me without any hesitation and, as the rest of the team watched in amazement, I tapped them with my wand and said, "Impervius!"

"There." I handed them back to Harry. "They'll repel water."

Harry grabbed my face and kissed me, as Oliver yelled, "Brilliant!" I pulled away from my boyfriend, shoving my wand back into my robes and wiping some mud onto Harry's cheek with my fingers. I snorted as he grimaced, running away before he could say anything. Oliver's voice rang after me, as he shouted, "Okay, team, let's go for it!"

Full of fresh determination, I urged my broom through the turbulent air, intercepting the Quaffle from Smith, ducking beneath Cedric, who was streaking in the opposite direction...

There was another clap of thunder, followed immediately by forked lightening. This was getting more and more dangerous. Harry needed to get the Snitch quickly-

I looked up to see him and Cedric pelting up the pitch neck-and-neck, both stretching their arm out...

But something odd was happening. An eerie silence was falling across the stadium. The wind, though as strong as ever, was forgetting to roar. It was as though I had gone suddenly death - what was going on?