26

MILLIES POV

"Millie, you look terrible."

Those were the first words that I heard from Ron as I sat down at the Gryffindor table for breakfast.

"Thanks, Ronald," I said sarcastically, pulling a bowl of porridge towards myself. I leant my head on Harry's shoulder, who pressed his lips against the top of it. My eyes darted up and down the Hall - it looked slightly emptier than usual. "Where are the first and second years?"

"Most of them are gone! It's the first day of the holidays, remember?" Ron exclaimed happily, watching me. "Where have you been, more importantly?"

"Ermm...couldn't sleep," I replied, spooning the porridge into my mouth and shuffling closer to Harry. I wasn't lying - I hadn't slept a wink last night.

I slumped my body further into Harry's side, as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders, breathing in his familiar scent. Snow was falling from the magical ceiling overhead the busy hall - this was the most amount of students I had ever seen stay for the holidays, which I deeply suspected was due to the New Years party.

"You don't look too well either, Harry," Mione said, peering anxiously between us.

"I'm fine," Harry mumbled, running his finger up and down my arm. "Where did you go, Mills?"

"Er - f-for a walk," I stuttered stupidly, straightening up and facing him, deciding that I might as well get to the point. "Harry listen, you mustn't go doing anything stupid," I began, thinking of what Lupin had said.

Harry frowned. "Like what?"

"Like trying to go after Black," I said sharply. Harry looked at me for a moment, before leaning his head in his hands on the table. "You won't, will you, H? Black's not worth dying for."

"Mills," he whispered, so that only I could hear. "D'you know what I see and hear every time a Dementor gets too near me?" I shook my head apprehensively. "I can hear my mum screaming and pleading with Voldemort. And if you'd heard your mum screaming like that, just about to be killed, you wouldn't forget it in a hurry. And if you found out someone who was supposed to be a friend of hers betrayed her and sent Voldemort after her-"

"There's nothing you can do, Harry," I hissed, shuffling closer to him so that he could hear me. "The Dementors will catch Black and he'll go to Azkaban and - and serve him right!"

"You heard what Fudge said," Harry whisper-shouted. "Black isn't affected by Azkaban like normal people are. It's not a punishment for him like it is for others!"

I scoffed. "So what are you saying? You want to kill Black or something?"

Again, Harry didn't answer. I shook my head disbelievingly, exchanging an exasperated look with Mione and Ron, who both looked very tense.

"Malfoy knows," Harry said quietly. "Remember what he said to me in Potions? 'If it was me, I'd hunt him down myself...I'd want revenge.'"

"Oh, so you're going to take Malfoy's advice instead of mine?" I hissed angrily.

"Listen," Ron interrupted, staring at Harry furiously. "You know what Pettigrew's mother got back after Black had finished with him? Dad told me - the Order of Merlin, First Class, and Pettigrew's finger in a box. That was the biggest bit of him they could find. Black's a madden, mate, and he's dangerous-"

"Malfoy's dad must have told him," said Harry, ignoring Ron completely. "He was right in Voldemort's inner circle-"

"Say You-Know-Who, will you?" Ron interjected angrily.

"-so obviously, the Malfoys knew Black was working for Voldemort-"

"-and Malfoy'd love to see you blown into about a million pieces, like Pettigrew!" I said, slamming my hand down onto the table, which made Harry finally look at me. "Get a grip, Harry, Malfoy's just hoping you'll get yourself killed before he has to play you at Quidditch."