18

MILLIES POV

Dear Mr Donovan,

Hello, sir. I don't really know how to start this - all I know is that I need to tell you. I asked some friends to help me write a letter, but I scratched the one we wrote completely. I did this one privately instead.

As you know, Millie and I have been best friends for a while now. Despite our jokes and bickers, your daughter always manages to make me smile. I would literally tell her anything, and she's always been there through everything. That's what best friends are for, right?

But then I began to feel something more. I have to admit, it was hard. I was scared. Scared because I thought that if I tried to do anything about my feelings towards her, our friendship would never be the same. But every day, every time I see her smile, see her run up to me in the corridor, see her bite her lip when she's working in class, see her scrunch her nose when she yawns, the wall that was stopping me telling her grew weaker and weaker, until I couldn't take it any longer. I don't want to worry you or anything, but Millie is one of, if not the, most popular girl in our year. Seeing other boys flirting with her, well, I think that's what made me realise for sure.

I kissed her, Mr Donovan. And I'm not apologising, because I genuinely couldn't hold my feelings in any longer.

Just know that Millie and I's friendship means the world to me, and I would never, ever do anything that would hurt her, I promise.

You were right, Mr Donovan, in Diagon Alley, two years ago, when you said you could see the way I was looking at her. Merlin, now I can barely take my eyes off of her.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think I'm falling in love with your daughter.

Yours respectfully,

Harry Potter

I must've read the letter at least ten times over, taking in new things Harry had said in it every time. '...would never hurt her...make me smile...falling in love...'

Harry James Potter was an idiot. He annoyed me more than I ever thought possible. Yet I still wanted to spend every irritating moment with him. I liked him. I liked him so much it pissed me off. All this time, all the insults, all the jokes - I now realised that that was my way of getting his attention.

I glanced down at the letter again, biting my lip. My heart melted as I read it over and over, knowing that these were all his own words. I finally folded the parchment up and tucked it back into my pocket, burying my face into the sleeping bag, my mind only seeing one person. A boy with messy brown hair, emerald-green eyes and a cheeky grin, that made me so warm inside. I couldn't help but curve my lips into a small smile as I thought about him.

Once every hour, a teacher would reappear in the Hall to check that everyone was quiet. I had tried my best to get some sleep, but had soon given up; the adrenaline pumping through my veins from my thoughts of Harry kept me alert and awake, while I fingered the letter in my pocket. Around one in the morning, when many students had finally fallen asleep, including Mione, who was quietly breathing next to me, Professor Dumbledore came in. I watched him looking around for Percy, who had been prowling between the sleeping bags, telling people off for talking. Percy was only a short way away from me, so I quickly pretended to be asleep as Dumbledore's footsteps drew nearer.

"Any sign of him, Professor?" Percy asked in a whisper.

"No. All well here?"

"Everything under control, sir."

"Good. There's no point moving them all now. I've found a temporary guardian for the Gryffindor portrait hole. You'll be able to move them back in tomorrow."