40

MILLIES POV

Less than five minutes later I found myself sitting in Dumbledore's office, surrounded by adults; Professor McGonagall and Snape had come to join the party, but who I had been most suprised to see, was the Minister for Magic, Cornelius Fudge. He had just arrived and asked me the stupidest question in this situation - "how are you?"

"Would you like me to be honest?" I asked pleasantly, sitting up in my chair and placing my hands on my knees mockingly.

"Erm - probably not," said Fudge hesitantly, sending McGonagall a confused look. She ignored him, keeping her beady eyes on me.

"Understandable. For your benefit, I will lie." I forced a smile onto my lips. "I am feeling absoloutely ecstatic."

"Er - right," Fudge muttered, fiddling with the end of his tie. He turned to Dumbledore. "Have you considered my idea, Albus?"

"I have," said Dumbledore, quite calmly, "and I am willing to do it, if, of course, Millie gives us her permission."

Professor McGonagall's thin mouth curved into a frown.

"Albus!" she exclaimed, her eyebrows knitted tightly together. "You're not - you're going to - you aren't actually going to do this?"

"What else can we do, Minerva?" said Dumbledore, and my heart beat began to increase as I noticed a hint of fear swimming in his warm eyes. "Sirius Black, as you are well aware, is extremely dangerous. I believe Millie, as I am sure we all do-" Snape audibly grunted, "-but we need to prove it. This is important-"

"I know it's important!" said Professor McGonagall, shaking her head. "But Miss Donovan is only young. How many people her age have you done this to, Minister?" She sent an expectant look to Fudge, who was still fiddling with his tie nervously.

"Ah, come now, Minerva," he mumbled, puffing his chest out in an attempt to show authority. "Not many people her age have been in this situation before, we have no choice-"

"Can someone please tell me what's going on?" I interrupted, my eyes flicking between each person anxiously.

"Millie," Dumbledore began softly, watching my every movement from his seat behind his desk. "Have you ever heard of Veritaserum?"

"Once," I answered, glancing at Snape for a second to make sure we hadn't covered it in class. Luckily, he was wearing his usual scowl, so we clearly hadn't. "I know it's a potion of some kind."

"Correct," Dumbledore confirmed, nodding. "Veritaserum is a Truth Potion which effectively makes the drinker, well, tell the truth. Use of this Potion is strictly controlled by the Ministry of Magic, but Cornelius has given us his full consent in this situation. We won't make you drink a lot, just enough to last a few minutes while we ask you some questions. Now, I am sure you understand the importance of this. Even if you haven't been talking to Sirius Black, this is the first step we can take to discovering why he would target you particularly."

My heart was now pounding so fiercely against my ribs I was surprised no-one could hear it. Of course Dumbledore, or any of the adults in the room, didn't know I knew about Dad being friends with Black.

For one of the first times in my life, I felt scared. I was alone, and-

-oh, never mind.

"What's going on? Black sent Millie a letter?"

I stood up at the familiar voice as the door swung open with a BANG. My jaw nearly fell on the floor as I met those familiar hazel eyes that were so similar to mine.

"Dad!" I exclaimed, running up to him and flinging my arms around his neck. He bent down to my level, hugging me tightly.

"Hey, kiddo," he muttered, pulling away and looking at me anxiously . "You okay?"