35

MILLIES POV

The five of us headed back to Gryffindor Tower, talking excitedly about Harry's broomstick and the upcoming match. I smirked at the thought of Cedric Diggory at the party saying we had no chance of winning.

We finally reached the portrait after a very slow journey, too busy admiring the Firebolt to concentrate on something like walking. We found Neville pleading with Sir Cadogan, who seemed to be refusing him entrance.

"...I wrote them down," Neville was saying tearfully, "but I must've dropped them somewhere!"

"A likely tale!" roared Sir Cadogan. Then, spotting the boys and I, "Good evening, my fine youth! Come clap this loon in irons, he is trying to force entry to the chambers within-"

"Oh, shut up," said Seamus, while Harry wrapped his arm around Neville's shoulders.

"I've lost the passwords!" Neville told us miserably. "I made him tell me what passwords he was going to use this week, because he keeps changing them, and now I don't know what I've done with them!"

"Oddsbodikins," I said to Sir Cadogan, while the boys comforted our friend. Sir Cadogan looked extremely disappointed and reluctantly swung forward to let us into the common room. There was a sudden, excited murmur as every head turned and the next moment, Harry was surrounded by people exclaiming over his Firebolt.

"Where'd you get it, Harry?"

"Will you let me have a go?"

"Have you ridden it yet, Harry?"

"Ravenclaw'll have no chance, they're all on Cleansweep Sevens!"

"Can I just hold it, Harry?"

I raised my eyebrows at the sight of Harry, Ron, Dean, Seamus and even Neville basking in the attention, eagerly telling everyone about the Firebolt. The only person who hadn't rushed over to us, bent over her work, was Mione. I approached her table and at last, she looked up.

"Millie!" she exclaimed, pulling out a chair for me. I gratefully sat down, rubbing my aching arms. "How was Snape's detention?"

"Terrible," I said, and Mione frowned, though probably because I had answered her smiling, "until Minnie came and let me off. She got me out of all the detentions because of Quidditch. I'm kind of in love with her right now."

Mione gasped happily. "Millie, that's brilliant! That's so good of Professor McGonagall to do that! Erm..." Her eyes landed on the loud crowd surrounding the third-year boys. "What's going on?"

"Harry got his broomstick back," I said, biting back a smile as Mione grinned. "There was nothing wrong with it. I reckon Harry and Ron'll try and talk to you any moment..."

And sure enough, not a minute later and the two boys joined us in the corner of the common room, both wearing equally wide smiles. Harry put one hand on my shoulder, using the other to hold the Firebolt up to show Mione.

"I got it back-"

"Before you say anything," Mione grumbled, "there might've been something wrong with it. I mean, at least you know now that it's safe!"

"Yeah I s'pose so," said Harry, rubbing my shoulder gently. "I'd better put it upstairs-"

"I'll take it!" said Ron eagerly, holding his hand out. "I've got to give Scabbers his Rat Tonic, anyway."

Harry handed him the Firebolt, and, holding it as if it were made of glass, Ron carried it away up the boy's staircase. Dean began imitating the way Ron had been holding it, making Harry laugh loudly. He went to beckon him over but I quickly grabbed the hand that was on my shoulder, making his attention turn down to me.