58

MILLIES POV

"S-Sirius...J-Jake...R-Remus..." Even Pettigrew's voice was squeaky. Again, his eyes darted towards the door. "My friends...my old friends..."

Black's wand arm rose, but Dad seized him around the wrist, gave him a warning look, then nodded at Lupin, who stared at Pettigrew, his voice light and casual as he spoke, "We've been having a little chat, Peter, about what happened the night Lily and James died. You might have missed the finer points while you were squeaking around down there on the bed-"

"Remus," gasped Pettigrew, and I could see beads of sweat breaking out over his pasty face, "you don't believe him, do you...he tried to kill me, Jake..."

"So we've heard," said Dad coldly. "We'd like to clear up one or two little matters with you, Peter, if you'd be so-"

"He's come to try and kill me again!" Pettigrew shrieked suddenly, pointing at Black, and I saw that he used his middle finger because his index was missing. "He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me, too...you've got to help me..."

Black's face looked more skull-like than ever as he stared at Pettigrew with his fathomless eyes.

"No ones going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out," said Lupin.

Dad grunted. "Well..."

"No one," Lupin repeated sternly, elbowing Dad.

"Sorted things out?" squealed Pettigrew, looking wildly about him once more, eyes taking in the boarded windows and, again, the only door. "I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for this for twelve years!"

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban?" said Dad, his brow furrowed. "When nobody has ever done it before?"

"He's got Dark powers the rest of us can only dream of!" Pettigrew shouted shrilly, and Mione and I glanced at each other. I rubbed my hands on my skirt to try and stop the tingles. "How else did he get out of there? I suppose He Who Must Not Be Named taught him a few tricks!"

Black started to laugh, a horrible, mirthless laugh that filled the whole room.

"Voldemort, teach me tricks?" he whispered.

Pettigrew flinched as though Black had brandished a whip at him.

"Don't know - what you mean, Sirius-" muttered Pettigrew, his breathing faster than ever. His whole face was shining with sweat now.

"You haven't been hiding from me for twelve years,"Black sneered. "You've been hiding from Voldermort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter...they all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them...I've heard them screaming all sorts of things in their sleep. Sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters' on your information...and Voldemort met his downfall there. And not all Voldermort's supporters ended up in Azkaban, did they? There are still plenty out here, biding their time, pretending they've seen the end of their ways...if they ever got wind that you were still alive, Peter-"

"Don't know...what you're talking about..." said Pettigrew again, more shrilly than ever. He wiped his face on his sleeve and looked between Dad and Lupin. "You don't believe this - this madness-"

"I must admit, Peter, I have difficulty in understanding why an innocent man would want to spend twelve years as a rat," said Lupin evenly.

"Innocent, but scared!" squealed Pettigrew. "If Voldemort's supporters were after me, it was because I put one of their best men in Azkaban - the spy, Sirius Black!"