14

MILLIES POV

"Harry, it shouldn't be taking you this long!"

That evening, I found myself curled up on the sofa in the common room beside Mione. Harry, Ron, Dean and Neville were all sat in armchairs around us. Harry had spent the past two hours writing the letter to my parents. The boys kept suggesting things to write, but they were all useless.

"I'm nearly done," Harry mumbled, leaning over the table to grab some more parchment. Ron, Dean, Neville and Seamus were now stood around him, advising him on what to write.

"...okay, now say - 'I defeated You-Know-Who, so I can defeat you easily'-"

"I'm not going to write that, Ron," Harry said, shaking his head at his friend. Ron frowned, thinking again.

Dean gasped. "How about - 'I'll give you fifty galleons if you don't kill me'-"

"No!" Mione snapped, slamming her book shut and therefore making all the boys jump. "Goodness, you're all terrible at this. I feel awful for whoever has to date any of you in the future."

"Has to?" Harry repeated. "Has to? Look at us - whoever dates us will be lucky." He sent me a smirk, to which I rolled my eyes.

Ron, Seamus and Dean nodded, nudging each other, but Neville turned bright pink.

"Harry," he said quietly, "just write honestly."

Seamus frowned. "What's the word honestly going to do, Neville-"

"No, I mean write how he truly feels," Neville said. "Say how much you like Millie, say how beautiful you think she is..."

I smiled at the boy, who carried on listing acceptable things to write. My eyes landed on Harry, who was staring at me with his famous lop-sided grin.

And then it hit me.

"Harry!" I cried, jumping up.

Harry stood up too, worry clouding his eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Snape!"

Harry stared at me expectantly.

"Snape!" I repeated desperately. "You've got detention! DETENTION WITH SNAPE!"

Harry swore loudly as the realisation dawned over him, grabbing the unfinished letter and stuffing it into his pocket. He threw his arms around me tightly, before jumping over the armchair and leaving the common room.

Our group was silent for a second, before we all burst out laughing. Mione shook her head disapprovingly.

"Your Dad won't have to kill him anymore, Millie," Ron said, wiping his tears as I sat back down, "Snape is about to do it for him."

"What did Professor Lupin want to talk to you about earlier, by the way, Millie?" Mione asked me.

"About my Boggart," I replied. "It was nothing important," I added, as all the boys turned to me with curious expressions.

Seamus sighed happily. "That was a wicked lesson. Did you see me take that banshee?"

"And the hand!" said Dean, waving his own.

Neville grinned. "And Snape in that hat!"

"It was the best Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson we've ever had, wasn't it?" said Ron excitedly.

"He seems a very good teacher," said Mione approvingly. "But I wish I could have had a turn with the Boggart-"

"What would it have been for you?" said Ron, sniggering. "A piece of homework that only got nine out of ten?"