17

MILLIES POV

"El, we are going to miss the feast!"

That evening, I found myself walking back to the castle with Elwood - who was walking painfully slowly.

"No, we won't," he said calmly.

"Why are you walking so slow?" I whined.

"Erm..." Elwood's cheeks turned rosy, as he frantically looked around for an excuse. "...I thought it would be cool if we walked back in the dark?"

His words sounded more like a question than a statement.

"Yes, very cool," I said sarcastically, latching onto his arm and pulling him into a fast walk. "This'll be my first Halloween feast, El! I don't want to miss it!"

"But we can't-" Elwood glanced down at his watch, before letting out a small breath. "-oh, phew, yes, we can. Come on, quick!"

My face contorted into complete confusion, as the boy started towards the castle. Shaking my head, I hastily followed him, looking forward to the Halloween Feast.

When Elwood and I finally made it back to the School, we found the Entrance Hall had been decorated with hundreds and hundreds of candle-filled pumpkins, a cloud of fluttering live bats and many flaming orange streamers, which were swimming lazily across the story ceiling like brilliant watersnakes.

"Thank you for coming with me to Hogsmeade, Millie," Elwood said gratefully, as we walked into the Great Hall. "It was the most fun I've had in a long time."

I grinned. "You don't have to thank me, El. I loved it." I glanced towards the Ravenclaw table, where I spotted Austin Hampton sending Elwood sideways glances. "But maybe you should go with Austin next time?"

Elwood's eyes widened. "Erm - w-why?"

I shrugged. "I don't know...to make new friends?"

He let out a relieved sigh. "Oh, right. Er - I'm not sure. I would be too nervous..."

"I'll come, too," I said instantly. "Lyra Medina could come with Austin?"

"I - it would be awkward," he said slowly, shaking his head. "My anxiety-" he paused, sucking in a small breath as though he had just remembered something. "Here, take this."

Elwood pulled an envelope from his pocket and shoved it into my hands.

"Open it privately," he added, smiling. I frowned, but agreed, stuffing the letter into my own robes.

We said our goodbyes, before heading towards our house tables. I hit my lip - Mione was seated with the third-year boys - including Harry. I sighed, before making my way over, silently praying that it wouldn't be awkward.

"There you are, sis!" Ron exclaimed, grinning as I sat down opposite him. "I was wondering if you would ever turn up."

I smiled, hugging Mione who had just wrapped her arms around me happily. Seamus, Dean and Neville all greeted me, but my eyes automatically shifted to Harry, who was sat next to Ron. He was looking right at me as well.

My heart panged as he immediately looked away, instead glancing over my shoulder, sending whoever it was a small nod. Hesitantly, I turned my head around. To my complete and utter shock, Elwood was looking in Harry's direction, with a smile on his face. I looked between the two, my eyebrows furrowed and my heart racing.

Elwood Mac and Harry Potter had just smiled at each other.

"How was Hogsmeade, Millie?" Dean asked, drawing my dazed attention to him. "Where did you go?"