16

MILLIES POV

By the time the bell rang at the end of the lesson, Harry and I hadn't said one word to each other. I grabbed my bag instantly, as Professor McGonagall called, "As you're all in my house, you should hand Hogsmeade permission forms to me before Halloween. No form, no visiting the village, so don't forget!"

Neville put up his hand.

"Please, Professor, I - I think I've lost-"

"Your grandmother sent yours to me directly, Longbottom," said Professor McGonagall. "She seemed to think it was safer. Well, that's all, you may leave - except Mr Potter and Miss Donovan."

I let out a small sigh, before making my way to the front.

"Potter!" McGonagall said loudly. I inclined my head round the tiniest bit to see Harry talking with Ron quietly. When Professor McGonagall called his name, he said something to his friend, before joining me at the front.

"Please sit," Professor McGonagall said, sitting herself down behind her desk. I dropped myself in a nearby chair, slumping in the seat. Harry did the same. "Now - what was that all about?"

Silence.

She sighed. "Well, not that it's any of my business, but you two have never had an argument like that before. Why now?"

I kept my gaze on the floor, not looking at either of them. After a few seconds, Harry mumbled, "She's annoyed at me."

"And why is that?" Professor McGonagall asked. "You don't have to tell me, but I'm sure I could help you work it out."

"I'm sure we could work it out, too, Professor," Harry said, with a hint of sarcasm in his voice, "but Millie decided that she isn't going to talk to me."

"And I a have very good reason for it," I spat, digging my fingers into the side of the chair.

"Yeah, and how am I supposed to know what that is?" Harry said fiercely. "I've been trying to get you to speak to me all day!"

"I would've thought it was obvious, Potter-"

"Enough!" said Professor McGonagall firmly. "Clearly you both have different sides of the story. "Now, when I'm feeling down, I find a nice butterbeer at Hogsmeade seems to calm me. Why don't you two go together and talk about it?"

"I can't," Harry said quietly. "My aunt and uncle forgot to sign my form."

"Yeah, anyway," I said, "I'm going with Elwood." Both Harry and Professor McGonagall looked at me. "What?

"What?" Harry repeated frantically. "I - your going with - what!"

"Elwood," I repeated calmly. "Elwood Mac."

"Ohhhh." Harry scoffed. "So that's what this is about? You needed an excuse so you could go to Hogsmeade with him."

"No, Harry," I said coldly. "He didn't have anyone to go with, so I said that I would go with him."

"Professor." Harry turned to Professor McGonagall, smiling sarcastically. "Would it be alright if I go to Hogsmeade?"

Despite my anger flooding towards the boy at that moment, some part of me hoped that she would say yes. Professor McGonagall looked over her square spectacles at him.

"I'm afraid not, Potter," she said. My heart sunk. "You heard what I said. No form, no visiting the village. That's the rule."

"But - Professor, my aunt and uncle - you know, they're Muggles, they don't really understand about - about Hogwarts forms and stuff," Harry said, sending me a sideways glance. "If you said I could go-"