37

MILLIES POV

I could hear the rest of the school moving into the stadium from the changing rooms. I took off my black school robes, removed my wand from my pocket, and stuck it inside the t-shirt I was going to wear under my Quidditch robes like always.

"You know what we've got to do," said Oliver, as we prepared to leave. "If we lose this match, we're out of the running. Just - just fly like you did in practice yesterday and we'll be okay!"

We walked out onto the pitch to tumultuous applause. The Ravenclaw team, dressed in blue, were already standing in the middle of the pitch. Cho Chang was the only girl on their team, and I suddenly felt a surge of admiration towards the her. She smiled at me as the teams faced each other behind our captains, and I warmly returned it.

"Wood, Davies, shake hands," said Madam Hooch briskly, and Oliver shook hands with the Ravenclaw captain. Harry caught my eye and we both nodded like always. "Mount your brooms...on my whistle... three - two - one-"

I kicked off into the air and zoomed after Katie, who had managed to grab the Quaffle first, listening all the while to the commentary, which was being provided by Lee.

"They're off, and the big excitement this match is the Firebolt which Harry Potter is flying for Gryffindor. According to Which Broomstick, the Firebolt's going to be the broom of choice for the national teams at this year's World Championship-"

"Jordan, would you mind telling us what's going on in the match?" interrupted Professor McGonagall's voice.

"Right you are, Professor - just giving a bit of background information. The Firebolt, incidentally, has a built-in auto-brake and-"

"Jordan!"

"Okay, okay - Gryffindor in possession, Katie Bell of Gryffindor passes to teammate Millie Donovan..."

I caught the Quaffle one-handed and streaked past Fred, who was in pursuit of a Bludger that was aiming for Angelina. I pressed the ball to my chest, leaning forward on my Nimbus to put on a spurt of speed as Carl Howell, a Ravenclaw Chaser, began tailing me closely. He was undoubtedly a very good flier - but not as good as me. He suddenly cut in front of my path, and I instinctively tilted my broom upwards, dodging the boy by millimetres. I hastily swung my arm back to make sure Howell had no time to intercept, and made it look as though I was aiming for the left hoop. At the last second, I changed direction and lobbed the Quaffle at the middle hoop, and it flew directly through it.

"...Donovan scores! Ten points to Gryffindor...!"

I had no time to celebrate as the Quaffle came flying towards me again, obviously having been poorly directed at a Ravenclaw. I zoomed forward and caught it before anyone else could realise what was going on, then streaked forward and threw the ball right through the left hoop.

"...AND DONOVAN SCORES AGAIN! ANOTHER TEN POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR...!"

But this time, the Ravenclaw Keeper managed to throw the Quaffle in the right direction, and one of their Chasers caught it. I zoomed after the Ravenclaw, just avoiding a Bludger by rolling over in mid-air.

"Be careful, Millicent!" called George, swinging his bat powerfully and sending the Bludger towards Cho, who was diving after Harry. I nodded before streaking off towards the Gryffindor hoops again, where the Ravenclaw chaser was still heading.

"Ang!" I shouted, pointing forward. Angelina nodded, cutting across the chaser and forcing him to change direction. He went to fly off again but Katie blocked his path, smirking at the boy, making him drop the Quaffle in surprise. I looped down and caught the ball, swiftly passing it back to Angelina, who zoomed off towards the Ravenclaw hoops, and barely seconds later, had scored.