43

MILLIES POV

I spent a bit longer in the shower than I had intended to, mainly to avoid Mione, who I knew had been waiting in the dormitory for me. After the visit to Hagrid's, I had decided I wanted to speak to her - but not tonight - a much needed sleepover was waiting for me. So about forty minutes after I stepped into the shower, I stepped out again, quickly drying myself and lazily chucking my hair up into a bun, all while brushing my teeth. I reached into the bathroom drawer and pulled out some comfortable clothes. I pulled the grey joggers on and went to pull a black hoodie over my head - until I realised it was Harry's. Cringing at myself, I brought the jumper up to my face and sniffed his attractive scent, making my heart throb even more than it already was at the thought of him. I sighed, folding his hoodie neatly and tucking it back into the drawer, instead pulling on my Quidditch jumper. I admired it in the mirror - I'd always loved it with my name on the back: MILLIE DONOVAN 06.

"Nice," I breathed, grabbing the Marauders Map before leaving the bathroom, thanking Merlin when I saw the dormitory was empty.

It was extremely hard avoiding the teachers in the corridors, considering I had no Invisibility Cloak. The safety measures imposed on the school since Black's second break-in was making it almost impossible for me to get to Ravenclaw Tower. I kept peering down at the map every five seconds, and when I had made it about half-way, a tiny dot suddenly appeared - and it looked as though it was moving in my direction. I squinted at it. The minuscule writing next to it read Severus Snape.

I felt as though I was about to have a heart attack. I glanced down at my watch, swearing under my breath when I saw it was thirty minutes past curfew - if I was caught now, I'd be in big trouble, especially under these circumstances, and especially if it was by Snape.

I quickly pointed my wand at the map, muttered "Mischief managed," and stuffed it back into my pocket. "Nox," I hissed, and the light I had made at the end of my wand vanished - but it was too late.

Another light appeared, and it was coming from the end of Snape's wand.

"Shit..." I muttered, watching in defeat as Snape approached me at a swift walk, his black robes swishing, and stopped in front of me.

"Donovan..."

There was a look of suppressed triumph about him. I tried to look as though I'd just woke up, rubbing my eyes uselessly.

"Professor?" I said, pretending to look shocked. "What's going on-?"

"Come with me," Snape interrupted, smirking at my weak attempt at acting.

I followed him all the way to the dungeons. I knew exactly where he was taking me - his office.

I had only been in here twice before, and I had been in very serious trouble both times, too. I had begun to see an unfortunate pattern. Last time, at the beginning of my detention, I had wasted no time in soaking in the sight of his office, as he'd left me standing outside and I was annoyed, so I used now to do so; Snape had acquired a few more horrible slimy things in jars since last time, all standing on shelves behind his desk, glinting in the firelight and adding to the threatening atmosphere. My stomach twisted with nerves as I forced myself to look back at Snape - I had a horrible feeling he was out for revenge after I had managed to get myself out of his previous ninety detentions.

"Sit," he demanded.

I sat. Snape, however, remained standing.

"What were you doing wandering the corridors at night?"

"I was sleepwalking," I lied, yawning for effect - Snape wasn't fooled. On the other hand, he bent down, placing a hand on each arm of my chair so that our faces were a foot apart.