6

MILLIES POV

"Is that Millie Donovan?"

"She looks fit!"

"I call dibs on her!"

These were just some of the whispers I heard when Mione and I walked in late to the Great Hall, our timeturners tucked safely under our shirts. I walked as quickly as I could to the Gryffindor table, trying my best to avoid all the stares as I hastily sat down between Harry and Ron.

"What did McGonagall want?" Harry muttered.

But Dumbledore saved me from answering, as he had just stood up to speak. I put my finger to Harry's soft lips, before turning to face the front.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, beaming around at the students. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it is best to get it out of the way before you became befuddled by our excellent feast..."

Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

He paused, and I remembered what Dad had said about Dumbledore not being happy with the Dementors guarding the school.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises - or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly, and Ron turned around to grin at me. "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the Prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no students runs foul of the Dementors."

Percy, who was sitting a few seats along from me, puffed out his chest and stared around impressively. Dumbledore paused again; he looked very seriously around the Hall, and nobody moved or made a sound.

"On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. Firstly, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause. Only those who had been in the compartment on the train with Lupin clapped hard, me included. Lupin looked particularly shabby next to all the other teachers in their best robes.

"Look at Snape," Harry whispered in my ear.

Snape was staring along the staff table at Lupin. It was common knowledge that Snape wanted the Defence Against the Dark Arts job, but even I was startled at the expression twisting his thin, sallow face. It was beyond anger: it was loathing.

"He looks like he hates Lupin more than he did Lockhart," I muttered in shock - I never thought I'd see that day.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued, as the lukewarm applause for Lupin died away, "well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his game keeping duties."

Mione and I stared at each other from across the table, stunned. Then we both joined in with the applause, which was tumultuous at the Gryffindor table in particular. I leant forward to see Hagrid, who was ruby red in the face and staring down at his enormous hands, his wide grin hidden in the tangle of his black beard.