44

MILLIES POV

I finally made it back to Gryffindor Tower, stopping miserably in front of the security trolls and glancing up at the Fat Lady.

"Pass-" she paused, looking down at me with her eyebrows furrowed. "Everything okay, dear?"

"Everything's fine," I grumbled, placing my hand on my forehead, which was throbbing painfully.

"That's not what it looks like," she said. "Go and have a good nights rest." The portrait swung open and I quickly thanked her, stumbling into the common room - it was empty.

I dropped into the nearest armchair, curling my legs up to my chest and closing my eyes. Everything was so much simpler last year, even if there was a Basilisk sneaking around the school - and that's saying something.

The sound of footsteps made me re-open my eyes and squint around the empty room. My gaze landed on Mione, who was stepping off the last step.

My heart plummeted as I noticed her holding a letter.

"Oh my..." My voice trailed away, and I suddenly felt the urge to just cry. "What's that?" I said, trying not to make my voice crack as I looked up at her anxiously.

Her lip trembled as she hurried over to me. "I just thought you ought to know...Hagrid lost his case. Buckbeak is going to be executed. He - he sent me this..." She held out the letter, hesitantly sitting down in the armchair beside mine.

I slowly took it. The parchment was damp, and enormous teardrops had smudged the ink so badly in places that it was very difficult to read.

Dear Hermione,
We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.
Beaky has enjoyed London.
I won't forget all the help you gave us.
Hagrid

"They can't do this," I muttered, after a short silence. "They can't...Buckbeak isn't dangerous..."

"Malfoy's dad's frightened the Committee into it," said Mione, wiping her eyes. "You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only I can't see hope...nothing will have changed..."

I sighed. "Yes, it will. You won't have to do all the work alone this time, Mione. I'll help-"

"Oh, Millie!"

Mione stood up, flung her arms around my neck, and broke down completely. I instantly hugged her back, feeling a wash of relief flood over me . We stayed like this for a good few minutes, before she finally drew away.

"Millie, I'm really, really sorry I accused you. I just panicked because I'd never seen Harry and Ron so frightened before" - My heart dropped into my stomach at these words, and I blinked repeatedly to stop myself breaking down, too - "should've waited to listen to the full story, and I would've supported you. It's the most ridiculous thing thinking of you and Sirius Black...I've been feeling guilty ever since..."

"I know," I said softly, gripping her hand. "Hagrid told me. But you aren't alone anymore, Mione, you've got me."

"Thank you," she sobbed. Even though she was crying, she was wearing the biggest smile I'd seen her wear in a long time. "I think Lavender and Parvati are asleep. Are you coming up now or...?"

"I'll meet you upstairs in a bit," I said, sending her a weak smile. She nodded, squeezing my hand and walking away, disappearing back up the stairs.