23

MILLIES POV

What with Elwood and Harry being friendly to each other now, the excitement for the New Years party, and the fact that Ravenclaw flattened Hufflepuff in their Quidditch match at the end of November, I was highly enjoying life at the moment. Gryffindor were not out of the running after all, although we could not afford to lose another match. Oliver became repossessed of his manic energy, and worked his team as hard as ever in the chilly haze of rain that persisted into December. No-one saw any hint of a Dementor within the grounds; Dumbledore's anger seemed to be keeping them at their stations at the entrances.

Two weeks before the end of term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling, opaline white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in glittering frost. Inside the castle, there was a buzz of Christmas in the air. Professor Flitwick had already decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that turned out to be real, fluttering fairies. Most students third-year and upwards had signed the form to stay at Hogwarts over the holidays, too, because of the party.

To my delight, there was to be another Hogsmeade trip on the very last weekend of term.

"We can do our Christmas shopping there!" Mione exclaimed, grabbing my hands excitedly. "Mum and Dad would really love those Toothflossing String-mints from Honeydukes!"

On the Saturday morning of the trip, I stood in the Entrance Hall with Harry, Ron, Mione, Dean, Seamus and Neville; all of us were wrapped in cloaks and scarves - except Harry, of course.

"Go and spend some extra time with Lupin," I said. "You like doing that."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yeah, thanks, I will. I hope you have a shit time without me-"

"Oh, we're going to have an excellent time," Seamus interrupted, winking at Harry before laughing. "I'm just kidding-"

"On second thoughts, you could always stay here," Harry whispered, glaring at Seamus.

"And do what?" I hummed, raising my eyebrows. I smirked as he eyed me. My heartbeat started to speed up.

"You know what I want to do."

I paused. "Nope. See you, Potter."

I quickly hurried after our friends, smiling at the sound of Harry's groan.

"Coming to Hogsmeade with us, Professor?" I asked Filch merrily, who was peering suspiciously into every face and making sure that no-one was sneaking out who shouldn't be going.

He scowled, turning to face me. "Of course I'm not, Donovan. Now start walking before I stop you from going too."

"Just being polite," I grumbled, allowing Ron to drag me away from Filch.

"I don't know how you even pretend to be nice to him, Millie," Ron said, shaking his head disbelievingly. "He's an idiot."

"I'm not too sure," I said quietly, looking back at the older man. "Maybe just...misunderstood."

Ron stared at me as though I'd just sprouted four heads, before shaking his own again and racing into a story about how he'd tried to kill a small spider this morning - key word - tried.

Hogsmeade was looking as stunning as ever in a crisp layer of snow; there were holly wreaths on the doors and fairy lights in each street lamp.

Ron had been moaning the entire way down that he was hungry, so we decided to go straight to Honeydukes. Seamus and Dean said they had to post a letter, and that they'd meet up with us later.

"Look at this, Millie," Mione exclaimed, pulling me over to a corner of the shop. There was a large sign saying 'Unusual Tastes' on the wall.