Chapter Fifty-Four: Memories Are Precious

Wonder's POV:

It had been a few days since we had saved Eri and I made sure to visit her everyday in the hospital. Aizawa and I had talked about it and decided that Eri should be in our custody... well, Aizawa's technically but that could be transferred to me should something happen to him. Though I'm underage being that I'm a hero I could make a very strong case that I could take care of her better than anyone else and should she lose control of her quirk I also stop her as well as teach her how to control it. Needless to say, I've been way too busy. In fact, today is the first day that things are kinda slow for me in a long time which meant I could actually go to school today! However, that doesn't mean something won't come up throughout the day.

As if I jinxed myself, not even half an hour into class, Small Might came into the room looking for me causing me to sigh and leave the room. 'One day I'll be able to spend a full day in class again' I thought as I followed him down to the staff room which was, surprisingly, empty. We both took a seat at one of the tables and stared silently at each other, the lack of conversation caused an awkward aura to take over the atmosphere but I didn't break eye contact with him. After a few more moments he looked away causing a cheer to go off in the back of my mind at the win of the unspoken staring contest. Small Might cleared his throat before he spoke, "There's something that's been bothering me, a question more so..." he trailed off causing me to give him a look as if encouraging him to continue. "What would happen if someone were to figure out who you were or what your quirk is? Looking like this, I mean." He said causing my mind to stop for a moment.

Normally, my mind is processing thousands of thoughts at a time such as: 'How is this hero faring?' or 'I know this mission was supposed to happen today, do they need any help?' or even 'I haven't been to this country for awhile, I wonder how the clone is doing... I should go back at some point.'. Sure, there are other thoughts that run through my mind but normally it's all about what is happening around the world and if anyone needs my help so to have someone ask a question like that caused everything to sort of... freeze?

I looked to Small Might and gave a small smile before speaking through our link, "They would need to be sworn to secrecy" I told him causing him to adopt a confused expression. "Surly," he started, "there is someone in the world who has a memory quirk; why not just remove the memories?" he asked causing me to stand and move to the window. The view from it was actually quite nice, you could see the courtyard of the school which is filled with flowers and trees; one of the students with a plant-based quirk must have been practicing. "Memories," I started only pausing to try a think of how to word this so he would understand, "are a precious thing, they help make a person who they are. Every experience, whether good, bad or traumatic help form a person and help them learn how to process and react to things. If I were to remove the traumatic memory from someone who's to say that without that experience, they would choose a life of crime instead of a life of heroics? They are fragile and tampering with them in anyway can change a person entirely. Plus, they already came to the conclusion by putting information together, they can do it again and the constant removal of memories can damage the brain." I finished causing him to nod. I turned back to look at him and he looked as if he were processing what I had told him which made me smile, he was actually listening to what I was saying and taking it to heart.

I looked back out the window, just staring and watching nature move and dance in the breeze. It's been a long time since I was able to stop and appreciate it. My watching was interrupted by his next question; "Why?" he asked causing me to look back at him confused, "Why didn't you fix the situation with Overhaul yourself?" he clarified. I looked at the floor with a sad smile on my face, due to me looking down I missed the startled expression on his face at my physical response to his question. I let out an almost strangled breath at his question before I responded, "I am immortal, that is no secret, but that means I will be able to be a hero forever..." I trailed off causing him to flinch remembering that fact. I looked up at him before I continued, "The world needs regular heroes to inspire the common person. I mean let's face it, an immortal hero who is known as 'The Worlds Hero' isn't something people can live up too; the people need a hero that they can relate too, one they can see themselves being, they need inspiration to be good and help the world in their own way." I explained causing him to look at me with what seemed to be amazement in his eyes.

I looked back out the window causing my sad smile to change into a small content smile. I could hear him stand and walk to my side but I didn't make any move to acknowledge that fact. When he was at my side, he placed his hand on my shoulder prompting me to look at him, he was smiling with small tears in his eyes. "The world doesn't deserve you, but I wouldn't even be able to imagine it without you... thank you for everything you do for everyone else."

Hey guys! I am so sorry that this has taken so long to get out! I've been busy working on my other story and running to work basically everyday. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter as well as this book as a whole! I would like to say thank you to Haikyuufangirl5 who had brought up the question of what would happen were someone to figure it out as well as the people who asked why didn't Wonder fix the Overhaul situation herself. I hope this chapter explained it well enough!

I would also like to say how crazy you guys are! I do read and try to respond to all of your comments which means I do see that some of you guys have binged this entire book in like a day or two! That's completely crazy! On top of that this story has over forty-three thousand reads and over fifteen hundred votes! That absolutely blows my mind and I am so thankful for it.

Last thing, I would also like to remind you all that no matter what I am here for you all and that I am always up to talk to anyone and everyone who needs it! Remember that I love you all and support you no matter what! I'll always be in your corner and I'm cheering you all on! Be strong, you can do and make it through anything!

Thank you all for reading and just remember that I love you all always!

~Avery