Chapter Twenty-Five

Quick note: the spelling errors are on purpose (you'll see why... I just wanted to make it clear)

___

You walked through the door of your house with the letter in hand. Your fingers ran over the wax family crest that sealed the envelope like it always did. Your mind raced to why you got another letter, and something inside your gut told you not to open it, yet you decided to anyway.

The Nausea that stung your stomach this morning rejoined you as you paced through your house. Sitting yourself down on the couch in your living room, your hands roamed on the letter.

Open With Urgency

Miss Y/F/N Y/M/N Y/L/n

1834 Dresden street

Chevy Chase, Maryland

You broke the crest on the back of the letter that sealed it shut revealing almost the exact same card as the first time around. Rather this one, the date had changed, and the gala had been moved to February 14th, making it a valentine's day gala.

As soon as you saw that the date had changed a pit plummeted in your stomach making you feel even more nauseous. There had only been one time in your whole entire life that they ever changed the gala date. Death during gala planning was the only reason they changed the date.

And suddenly you were a seventeen-year-old back in that emergency room all over again.

The clean Clorox smell of hospitals, the lights that were all too bright, and the looming nurses and doctors that knew death was inevitable.

There you sat next to Margot, your sister, tears flooding down both of your faces. Your parents stood outside the room, yelling obscenities at each other over tablecloths, trying to avoid the topic at hand.

There your grandmother lay, on the brink of death in her hospital bed. She was losing her battle to cancer and losing it quickly.

Margot's hand laced through yours as your head fell into her shoulder in a sob. Your grandmother was the one who you escaped to when your parents became too much or hit you too hard. She was the protector to you, and she was slipping away right in front of your eyes, yet neither of your parents seemed to care.

Your grandmother had threatened many times to take you away from them, in fact, she tried to once as well, but she never was able to. The lawyer in your parents always took over and they scared her from doing it. Your parents despised her for it.

You stood up from the couch that you and Margot sat on and walked over to your grandmother wanting to talk to her. She was in and out of consciousness, she slept a lot, her body was losing energy.

You held her hand as you looked over at her, you tried to hide the tears that streamed down your face. "How are you feeling?" you said looking at your grandmother.

A few tears fell from her face as she tried to answer, "I love you, I hope you know that I will always love you, I know you will do amazing things, and be so much better than who they are. I love you." he words became slurred as she began to fall asleep in your arms.

"I love you too, I promise you I will be." You said back to her as more tears fell down your face. You had thought she had fallen asleep but then you heard the flat line. She died in your hands and your body went into terror.

"MOM" you yelled out in agony trying to get your parents. You pressed every button that called a nurse or a doctor in that room. You just stood there yelling for your parents to come into the room.