Chapter Thirty-Seven

You stood next to Aaron in the house of the fourth murder since you had been on this case. You had only come down to charleston, south Carolina yesterday, but the woman was accelerating her killings and the whole team was stressed. Not to mention they were all acting weird towards you and you couldn't figure out why.

The girl that laid in front of you, as you watched the people sent from the mortician's office clean her up off the floor, followed the trend of every other killing. It was an organized killer, who was extremely clean with her killings. She would shoot the women, then carve a heart in their stomach.

The women's makeup would be done, but then smeared all over their faces, as an attempt to degrade them before they died. The killer, who was deemed a woman, would then clean up and organize the room. With no fingerprints left behind, she was clearly wearing gloves, and the scent of bleach meant she was hyper-aware of germs or feared a trace of her would be left behind.

All the women that had been murdered were recent adoptees. The women all adopted one of two kids, Ethan and Ryan. Twins that were separated at birth. The issue was there was no record of the mother, and the children were left at the steps of a hospital.

"Call Garcia and have her see if she can trace back to the security cameras footage of 2015 when the kids were left at the hospital. I think the woman who is killing these women is the mother of these twins." Aaron said as his hand rested on the small of your back before the two of you walked out of the house.

"Will do," you said, giving him a soft smile before stepping away and dialing Garcia.

"Hello?" A somewhat unwaveringly monotone voice came through the phone. It was not your normal Garcia. She always called you her sunflower when she answered the phone, and now it was like there was a world between the two of you.

"Hey Garcia, I need a favor." you asked sweetly, "ask away," she said again her voice was still monotoned

"I need you to trace down a security camera footage from 2015, the date is July 13th, on the outside of The children's hospital down in charleston. We have suspicion to believe that the unsub is the woman who dropped the children off at the front of this place." you finished

"Of course." she said before she was about to hang up "Hey Garcia is everything okay?" you asked before she had the chance to hang up on you. You were worried you had done something wrong in the time that you were gone to cause them to be mad at you.

"No, uh... w- why?" she squeaked out a lie like she was hiding something and that gave it all away. You knew something was wrong.

"First, everyone was really distant to me this morning and I don't know why, Aaron is being overly touchy, which is fine, but unlike him," you sighed to yourself getting a bit frustrated with the situation that you were in.

"and now you," you paused. "You are acting completely not like Garcia, and I want to know what is wrong? Did I do something while I was gone, I am so confused." you finished as you held your breath slightly, scared that you had just acted like a fool and it was just your brain this whole time telling you that something was wrong.

"Oh, it's nothin' don't worry. I bet the team is just tired. This case sucks. I love you, sunflower." she said like everything was normal again. Any other time you would've written it off and continued on, but something in your head told you that there was something wrong.

"Uh okay, I love you too Garcia," you said while you hung up the phone and walked back over to Aaron who was waiting by the SUV for you. You had a confused look on your face, your mind still on what was up with Garcia.

"You okay? The gears in your head seem to be stuck." Aaron said poking fun at your confused look. His hand took your quickly, which again was unusual. He never really showed a lot of affection towards you while at work, which was totally okay, but this time it just felt odd.