Chapter Thirty-One

"Y/n" you heard a whisper from a kid that nudged you awake in the middle of the night. You opened your eyes to see that Jack was standing there next to your bed. "y/n, I frew up." his face looked like he was going to break down into tears. And suddenly, your maternal instincts came in.

It had been two weeks since you had put jack down for bed that first time and it had almost become a routine at this point. You had stayed over at Aaron almost every night because as the days grew closer to the impending gala, your brain sent your body into shock. And with it being this Saturday, it was just extra levels of stress.

Almost every night you weren't with Aaron you would wake up shaking, sweating, and screaming from nightmares or panic attacks. It was like Aaron was your muse, the only thing that could silence the rocky waters in your brain.

Jack had grown accustomed to you being there, and as each day passed, your heart for him grew. You almost felt like the grinch, it grew a few sizes. And each time you tucked him in, which was every night, you knew that you would do anything to protect him.

You looked over at the clock and saw that it read 5:45 am. "Okay buddy, do you want to wake daddy up, I think he should know too," you said as you sat up out of bed and scattered a bit. "No y/n, I want you, please," he said and you saw his eyes well up. You weren't sure if he was embarrassed, not feeling well, or a mix of both, but you agreed and followed him into his room.

There was vomit all over the floor. Thank god it was a hardwood floor you thought to yourself before the disgusting smell hit you. Now I remember why I don't like cleaning.

"I'm sorry," he said out loud and you saw a few tears stream down his face. "Hey don't say that buddy," you embraced him in a big hug, "it happens to the best of us, it's okay. Everyone gets sick sometimes," you said as you heard him sniffle into your shoulder and you rubbed his back.

"I can guarantee daddy has thrown up before, and you know what, daddy got to deal with me throwing up once too. So it's nothing to worry about bud." He pulled out of the hug and you rubbed his arms a bit to comfort him.

You had him out of his old pajamas into new ones that you gave him, had him re brush his teeth, and you gave him some ginger ale to help his stomach. "Go lay down daddy's bed and I'll bring a trash can in for you just in case you get sick again," you said as he nodded and ran into the room you and Aaron slept in.

And then the dreaded part came. You had to clean it all up. So you did, and you grabbed some gloves, paper towels, a mop, and a sponge and started to clean up jack's sickness. As you scrubbed hunched over on the hardwood floor of Jack's room, you felt a hand rub on your back.

"Hey, why didn't you wake me? I would've helped. I feel bad you are doing this." his voice was groggy and you leaned back sitting on the floor away from the vomit. Aaron sat down next to you. "He didn't want me to wake you up, I even asked if I could and he said no." you shrugged your shoulders. "I think he was embarrassed, he was crying."

"You should just move in at this point, I think he likes you more than he likes me," Aaron said quietly, almost mumble laughing at his own words, but you heard it loud and clear. Your heart started beating.

"What did you just say?" you smiled a bit, "did you just ask me to move in with you while I am sitting on the floor covered in vomit?" you laughed a bit yet winced at the thought. "Yeah I think I just did." he laughed back

"Now let me finish cleaning this up, go shower this off," Aaron said. There was practically nothing left on the floor as you had cleaned up most of it, but it wasn't like you were going to deny the help that Aaron offered. Plus, you really needed to shower.