47. "You're All Alone On This"

"This past weekend, Midtown's Academic Decathlon team defeated the country's best to win the national championship," Betty said on the morning announcements

   "This past weekend, Midtown's Academic Decathlon team defeated the country's best to win the national championship," Betty said on the morning announcements. "Later that day, they also defeated death." I stood in the middle of the hallway, watching as fellow students walked by in a hurry to prepare for classes. Normally I would have been right beside them, rushing to review for a class just in case a quiz popped up out of nowhere, but not today.

I hadn't even made it to my locker when Dad decided to call me, saying that I was going to miss school for the day. He didn't give me a reason why, just telling me to wait close by the entrance so he could pick me up.

"Explosion. Salty scream. Flash scream. Everybody screaming," one of the students said in an interview. I couldn't help but chuckle at the fact it was one of the faculty member's kids who hadn't even come on the trip. "There were purple lasers and smoke. It was tight, like a Bon Jovi concert."

"As you know, we made it out alive, and that's the important thing," it cut to Mr. Harrington. "I couldn't bear to lose a student on a school trip. Not again."

"Thankfully, no one was seriously injured thanks to the Spider-Man."

"Miss Star?" I turned around to see the secretary motioning for me to follow her. "Tony Stark is here for you." She looked in shock, bewildered that a sentence like that came out of her mouth. A few of the students who overheard her gave me looks of astonishment as I passed by them, causing my cheeks to burn slightly as I overheard my name from several of them.

"There she is," my father grinned cheekily as I made it into the lobby. Happy and a burly bodyguard stood beside him, looking extremely uncomfortable to be in the high school. "There's my favorite intern."

"I take it something special just came up at work?" I smiled back, almost giving him a hug before remembering that I wasn't Isabel Stark at the moment, just Bella. He noticed too, opting for a fist bump instead.

"Recieved a call from a certain global organization about an opportunity for you," he mentioned. "But it's urgent."

"So let's get going then," I nodded, understanding completely.

"My thoughts exactly. Uh, Catherine?" he called over the secretary. "Is there a certain time limit on how long I'm allowed to have this girl off of your premises?"

"Not for you, Mr Stark," she shook her head, and I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes.

"Good, then we'll be on our way." Turning dramatically, he walked toward the front doors, already opened for him. I followed in tow, a grin slowly spreading on my face as I walked down the entrance stairs and into his car. As I slid in, the door was shut behind me, locking me in with my father and Earl Fox.

"Nice to see you again, Miss Stark," Earl grinned, rubbing his hands together gleefully. I buckled into my seat as the car started to move, taking a quick glance back at Midtown Tech before redirecting my attention. "This is going to be fun."