54. Happiness

"I'm sorry, this number cannot be reached

   "I'm sorry, this number cannot be reached. Please try again later." I sighed, setting my phone down in my lap and leaning back against the passenger seat.

"So who's this mystery person?" Happy asked me, focused on the road in front of us. I had woken up that morning, planning to tiredly go to school when I opened my door and saw my father's bodyguard about to knock. I had totally forgotten that my meeting with the United Nations would be happening that day, which led to me rushing around to slide into a baby blue dress and flats. After the fight, I wasn't getting the best feelings from putting another dress, but I had no choice. Not to prove that I was Tony Stark's special daughter, but that I wouldn't be shaken by an assassination attempt. "A boy?"

"Ha, no," I let out a light chuckle sadly, looking through the other missed calls I had used during the drive to the compound. "A friend." When I woke up the next day after the battle, the first thing I saw was a bunch of text messages from my friends. Flash and his date had crashed the homecoming by yelling to everyone that Bella Star was a lie, causing all my friends to try and reach me for answers. Everyone, except Stacy. "She's almost like a sister to me... well, maybe not like Wanda; I don't think anyone could take her place. A guy at school figured out who I was and told everyone at the dance after I left, but they won't truly believe him until this goes live."

"So you wanted to make things right with her because it wasn't your choice for the reveal to happen just yet," Happy summarized, and I nodded. "Kid, your dad went through the same thing when he came out as Iron Man eight years ago. He lost a lot of the company's trust and a few friends."

"I don't want to lose her though," I interrupted. "I... I can't."

____________________________________________________________

"So without further ado, let's get Isabel up here," my father spoke into the mic, causing a polite applause to go through the room. Pepper gave my hand a squeeze before I stood up from my seat, blinded seconds later by the flashing cameras. My metal arm received hushed whispers as I stood at the podium next to my father. "The horrific event in Lagos inspired the United Nations to create the Sokovia Accords, named after one of the battles the Avengers team fought in. This spiraled to the fight in Germany, and Atlantis was fighting against it. Due to being a minor, she cannot be held accountable for her actions as they were forced by Steve Rodgers." I gritted my teeth as I smiled along, unnoticeably glaring at the screen in the back of the room feeding my father his lines. "The United Nations held this young Avenger to certain rules, such as attending school and avoiding all use of her powers. Today, she is now allowed to sign the Accords and now longer be known as a criminal."

My dad stepped away and sat in my abandoned seat, allowing me to blink from the flashing lights and look at the reporters. On the podium was a single document awaiting my signature with the pen beside it. I glanced up at the screen, reading my lines in my head about how I would say I regretted my actions. I clenched my fist behind the stand, letting my nails dig into my skin.