78. Touchdown

As a child you would waitAnd watch from far awayBut you always knew that you'd be the oneThat work while they all play

And watch from far away
But you always knew that you'd be the one
That work while they all play

Warriors by 2WEI

   The Quinjet shook violently as the pilot began to make way for touch down, torrential rain pouring from the sky. I stood at the front of the entryway, holding tight to an upper railing with my left hand to keep from falling. My comm was secured in my ear, hidden partly by the lower part of my hair I didn't have pulled up in a ponytail. I looked over my shoulder to see Zane and Kayla standing behind me, both stoic despite knowing the situation we were about to enter. Five Dragons members were behind them, two girls and two boys while the other member landed us. In their hands were the Wakandan weapons Shuri let me bring home, guns that had a faint purple glow to them as they waited to be fired.

"You're nervous." I turned my gaze back to the entrance of the Quinjet as soon as Zane's voice echoed in my head, my grip tightening on the railing.

"No, I'm not."

"I didn't think you took me as a fool, Stark." My gaze flickered down to my feet. "There's no way you don't feel nervous about this... sick even. They are children down there. You can't tell me that you're comfortable knowing you're going to leave this with their blood on your hands."

"We were younger when they sent us into the field," I attempted to retort, but it was useless. I couldn't ignore the fact that the people we were going to fight had families... friends. I doubt any of their loved ones knew where they were or that there was no way to save them. If we beat Hawkes, there would be hundreds dead... most likely including myself. "But you're right... I'm not."

"Thomas is going to be down there," Zane also pointed out. "If Amy finds him first, it's going to be a bloodbath." I bit the inner corner of my lip at this realization. Hawkes could be taken down much faster if Thomas was the one who died, but it felt wrong. Despite him betraying us, I understood on some level. From the way that he talked about his sister in the Framework, it was clear that she was always everything to him. He sacrificed his own freedom in an attempt to save her. If I were in his shoes without the experience I had to this point, would I have done the same for a chance to see my brother again? Perhaps my birth parents?

"Then we just have to find him first," I sighed. Thomas deserved another chance. He could right his wrongs like I worked to right mine. The Quinjet hit the ground with a soft thud, and I closed my eyes briefly. The world was quiet, but my heart was not. It's beats rang in my ears, reminding me of how scared I was. I couldn't let the people behind me know that. I let go of the railing and grit my teeth.

"Alright, listen up!" I yelled as I turned around fully, grabbing everyone's attention on the jet. "Not going to lie, we don't know everything that's down there. If you see civilians, get them to some place safe. We're not going to have the government all on our ass after this. These new Elementals are beyond reasoning. Don't try to be a hero; their brains are ruined beyond repair and they will not give you the mercy you think about giving them."