74. The Truth

"I hate the way you talk to me and the way you cut your hair

"I hate the way you talk to me and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare; I hate your big dumb combat boots and the way you read my mind."

"You know, I'm actually really enjoying this one," Peter whispered as 10 Things I Hate About You played on. The two of us were laying on a couch in the compound's movie room, my head resting on his chest as he ran his fingers through my hair. I hummed my approval, my eyes fluttering as I struggled to stay awake in the dark room. "You still with me, Belle?"

"Trying my best," I answered sleepily, and I heard him laugh to himself. "I'm sorry, I didn't want to-"

"You're tired, it's okay," he assured me. "I'm not offended." His answer brought a smile to my face. Kat Stratford's monologue went in and out of my consciousness until I finally gave in, sleep welcoming me for the first time the past few days.

The compound was in destroyed, the entire ground in ruins. Screams filled the air, some not human as aliens and mankind fought against each other for their lives. I laid crumpled on the overturned dirt, a hand raised as I struggled to hold the Hudson River back from flooding the battlefield. There were several bodies next to me, brutally disfigured and dripping blood.

"Isabel!" I looked up as a man flew down to me and landed beside me, orange geometric circles of energy flying from his fingers. He had dark black facial hair with streaks of white, his eyes narrowed as he concentrated. A deep red cloak was wrapped around his upper frame, flowing from the breeze. My hand dropped tiredly, and the man chuckled. "Now is not yet your time to die."

"Stark!" I had no time to process his words as my attention turned away to the purple gargantuan beelining toward me, armor coating his body with a large broken sword in his hand. A few Wakandans tried to stop him, but he stabbed them through like a skewer. "We made a deal." I turned back to the man who had previously saved me, already floating away as he focused on the Hudson, and I felt my heartbeat in my throat. I scrambled backward in the dirt, almost hyperventilating as he continued to step toward me. "You betrayed me, child... and for that, you will die."

"No," I shook my head wildly, managing to push up on my feet and hobble a few more steps. "No!" The purple man swung his sword down on me, and I lifted my hands up. A continuous wave of water blocked it a few feet above my head, circling around my feet, and he grunted as the sword came ricocheting back. I had no idea what was happening. All I knew was the fear that ran through me. More of the aliens surrounded me, their teeth bared like demonic dogs ready for the kill.

"Belle!"

"Stop it!"

"Belle?" I let out a bloodcurdling scream as I sat up, shaking uncontrollably as Peter stared at me worriedly with wide eyes. I was in the movie room again, the dim yellow lights back on as the movie had finished. The boy's hair was ruffled as if he had fallen asleep as well. "Hey, it's okay! It's okay. You're safe."