33. The Ride Home

I'll sit and watch your car burn
With the fire that you started in me
But you never came back to ask it out

Watch by Billie Eilish (Atlantis Playlist)

"You're leaving?" Quill asked me in shock as I slid my small bag on my back. I squirmed a little under all the Guardians' gazes. I couldn't meet Groot's eyes, who was sitting on Rocket's shoulders with a few tears down his face from the news. "Now?"

"I can't really wait any longer, and I have a ride that's ready to go," I explained, but my reasoning sounded more like an excuse. "I didn't think I'd leave home right away, but I don't have another ride anytime soon." Gamora nodded understandingly. Mantis looked down at her feet, her antennae lowered.

"So you're saying goodbye," Drax said, fidgeting with his hands. Groot gave a small gasp, sniffling. The baby tree covered his face with his hands. I rushed over to Rocket, who lightly plucked the tree off his shoulder and into my arms.

"Groot, hey," I consoled him, and the tree leaned into my chest. "Buddy, it's okay."

"I am Groot," he sobbed.

"I won't forget you, buddy."

"I am Groot?"

"I promise," I told him with a light laugh, and Groot nodded. I handed Groot back to Rocket, and I turned around into Quill. "I'm sorry I can't stay with you guys, and with Yondu now gone..."

"I understand," Quill told me. "I'm not here to try and stop you." Quill pulled a wad of leather out of his jacket and handed it to me. I unfolded it and couldn't stop a smile from forming. It was a replica of the jacket the Ravagers had stolen from me. "I learned a long time ago to always have a spare."

I slid the jacket on and wrapped my arms around Quill, who returned the gesture by pulling me in tight. I felt furry arms wrap around my stomach, two femininely muscular ones around the three of us, and big beefy arms squeezing us all together.

"I'm gonna miss you guys," I said shakily, my voice close to breaking. Slowly, one by one, the Guardians let go, the last one being Rocket. The group walked me over to the few docked ships, where only one had the hatch open. Nebula stood inside, her hands on her hips.

"You ready to go?" she asked me, and I nodded. I stepped into the ship, and I felt something grab my hand. I turned around to see Groot retracting his arm. Watching me closely, he held out his hand and grew a small blue flower in his palm. Groot carefully plucked it and extended his arm to place it in my hand. I looked at the small flower and felt my eyes water.

"Thanks, buddy," I smiled sadly, and I carefully stuck it behind my ear. The hatch began to close, and the Guardians waved me goodbye. I didn't leave from my spot until the hatch closed fully before making my way to the cockpit, where Nebula was steering the ship away.

"You can always stay, you now," Nebula commented as I sat in the passenger seat. I shook my head.

"No," I told her. "I have to go home."

"To save people, right?" I glanced over at Nebula in surprise. "You said before that you have people to save."

"How are you going to do that?" Nebula asked me, passing through a space jump to make the trip go by faster. "Who are you saving people from?"

"I'm not sure how I'm gonna save them," I confessed. "I think I was friends with them when I was younger. I'm not even sure where they are." I picked at one of my nails. "A man named Anthony Hawkes used to work in the program we all were experimented in. I thought he was dead, but then he surprised me at an event his son invited me to. Hawkes tried to capture me, and my powers took control of me. I killed his son in the most gruesome way possible." Nebula nodded, almost understandingly. "Now I'm worried he's torturing them while I try to get clues."