41. Okay? Okay

I felt out of place when Stacy knocked on Liz's door, wearing a cute white long sleeve and a pinkish beige dress. I stood beside her in a black long sleeve, white skirt, and a grey sweater. I had my hair in beach waved curls, making my Guardians dye seem to blend with my browns. My metal arm was almost completely covered by my sleeves, only showing my hand. The other adorned a simple ring on my pointer finger.

I couldn't get Stacy's words out of my head. Maybe she was trying to motivate me, or maybe she was right. Could he actually like me for me, not as Atlantis?

"I know that look," Stacy said to me, tilting her head in my direction. "You're overthinking. Relax, girl, we're at a party! If anyone needs to de-stress, it's-"

"You?" I smiled, tilting my head back. Stacy let out a chuckle. "I'm dealing with normal teenage problems, how does that need de-stressing?" Well, include the fact that I have the United Nations watching my every move...

"I know it isn't just that," Stacy clucked. "But as your friend, I know not to pry until you're ready to discuss." We turned back to the door as it quickly opened, showing Liz in a blue blouse and jeans.

"Hey guys!" she greeted cheerfully. "Come on in! I love your outfits."

"Same to you," I complimented back with a smile. The two of us slid into the house, where the party had already started. Flash stood behind a DJ booth in the living room, headphones on as he and many of the other students danced to the music. Michelle stood in the kitchen, putting bread in the toaster while holding a green apple in her mouth. Betty and Michelle were sitting next to each other on one of Liz's couches, drinking two bottles of Diet Coke as they discussed something. "There's like twenty people here..."

"And a lot more on the way, including Peter!" Stacy exclaimed, saying his name in a sing-song way. I gave her a swift but weak kick to her calf. "Ow!"

"One more word about it in public and I tell Flash you're into someone else," I threatened, and my best friend mimicked locking her mouth and throwing away the key. "Could you get me a mandarin soda? I know Liz stocked up on some."

"Sure," Stacy nodded, pivoting on her feet and making her way to the kitchen's fridge. I glanced back at the door, watching as a smiling Liz welcomed in more people. This wasn't one of my father's parties or an Avengers' conference. This was a simple high school party, where a guy I had a crush on could arrive any minute.

"Hey, sweet cheeks." I rolled my eyes, making a scathing noise in the back of my throat as I turned around to see Flash giving me a flirty smile. "All alone?"

"Stace is getting me a soda," I grumbled, crossing my arms. Flash scratched the back of his neck.

"Who know?"

"Stacy," I reminded him, but he shrugged. "Stacy Min. She's in almost all your classes? Musical genius?"

"Can't say I've seen her," Flash grinned. I felt my hands clam up into fists. "You know, next week is Decathlon. Maybe we should... spend some more time together. Get to know each other."

"Here's your two cups of punch, Flash." I turned my head quickly and gave the owner of the new voice a glare. The junior seemed to wince under my gaze. Flash winked at him as he took the two plastic cups, handing one to me. I snatched it from his hand, using my powers to examine the liquid.

"Spiked, wow. I can't believe I'm even surprised," I commented sarcastically. Flash took a sip from his cup, drinking it as if it was nothing.

"It's all the rage, sweetheart. Loosen up a little." He placed a hand on my shoulder, pulling me closer. "You look like you could use it."