16. The Invitation

My hand was latched on to Peter's as we made our way down the boardwalk, occasionally stopping to play a game or two. I knew I had a small side of competitiveness in me, but I didn't know that the same fire burned inside Peter. We would beat a game senseless and then find a dark, secluded corner for me to Apparate our new belongings to the hotel. So far, I had a giant Stitch plush on my bed, a cool new pair of sunglasses on my head (Peter bought them, and when I felt the warm feeling in my chest I couldn't say no), and an adorable Vaporeon stuffed animal. Peter had focused his attention on getting all science related prizes, so I felt myself grin along side him when I presented the shirt I had won for him. We had spent the early afternoon surfing and swimming in the ocean, and now being on the boardwalk with him seemed extra special. I still couldn't get my mind off the crush I had on him. Had it always been that obvious to everyone except me?

"Hey, Isabel!" Peter said excitedly, pointing at a game stand that was crowded with little kids. I followed his gaze to see Avenger action figures all set in boxes, waiting to be won. And right next to the several of Atlantis figures was a single battered Spider-Man, waiting to be won. The man running the stand waved his hand to invite us over. I looked up at Peter with a smile.

"I get Spider-Man, you get the Atlantis?"

"You read my mind," Peter grinned, and the two of us made our way forward. The sea of children parted except for a teen with blonde who looked about two years older than Peter.

"Step right up, you two!" The vendor said with a cheerful grin as the teen stared at me his gaze torn from the booth and a smile on his face. Like a knowing smile, and it seemed a bit weird. I think Peter felt the same way, he shifted his body in front of me slightly and almost protectively. "Now, we have a lot of figures here, so which one of you is competing this guy first?"

"I'll go," I offered, stepping out from behind Peter. I directed my attention to the blonde guy. "I'm Bella. So how do I win?"

"You beat me, you get the toy," the boy smirked. He extended a hand, and I moved to shake it. "Nice to meet you, Bella. I'm Colin."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A tall blonde kid crumpled to the ground as young Isabel bent his fingers backward, screaming in pain. About twenty kids stood in silence, watching, including the rest of the Elementals. Amy stood behind him in shock for a minute before jumping back in terror as he slowly stood back up.

"You shouldn't have done that," he snarled, pulling back his good arm and punching Isabel in the face. My past self yelped and fell backwards, clutching her eye as blood trickled out of her nose. "Bitch."

"Stop it!" Amy yelled at him, grabbing his arm as it pulled back again. "Colin, that was mean!"

"Do I look like I care?" Colin snapped. "I tell you to die in Hell and it means squat. You people don't get it, do you? We were chosen-" Before Colin could finish his sentence, Amy went into a rage on him, hitting and biting. Isabel slowly pushed herself away, terrified at the bloody sight. Frankly, I was too. Several HYDRA agents stormed into the room and pulled the two apart, Amy screaming murder and kicking hard while Colin struggled to breathe. His right eye was swollen shut, and teeth marks were scattered across his skin. One agent came behind young Isabel and bashed the back of her head with his gun, knocking her out. The world darkened as Amy broke loose and charged toward Colin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So what figure you playing for?" Colin finished as our hands retracted. The flashback had only lasted a second. I could now see the tooth-shaped scar below his eyebrow, the small bumps of scar tissue that stood out where his palm and fingers met. Colin Hawkes was alive. I realized the seconds of silence I had lost not too late in my process of thought.