76. Alert

"General, I still don't see how you believe that the United Nations can defeat this man," I pressed on

   "General, I still don't see how you believe that the United Nations can defeat this man," I pressed on. I sat with my legs crossed in the compound's meeting room, sitting in the exact chair I was in when I first met Ross. The older man narrowed his eyes at me, glancing back to where my father sat behind me.

"I shouldn't have to defend the Accords like this to a child," he insulted me, and my eyes narrowed. My father placed his hand on my leg from under the table where Ross couldn't see, and I wasn't sure if he was restraining me or attempting to calm me down. "Mr. Stark, unlike my previous time here, you are now her guardian. I believe it's your job to handle this... situation."

"My daughter and I have a well-established level of trust here," my dad defended me. "Respectfully, it would do you good to listen to what she has to say. She's the only one who knows what Hawkes is capable of." I looked back at him and smiled, which he returned with a wink. "Listen, I have sent you file after file on these kids. Where's the level of trust, general?"

"The Accords state that any enhanced individuals have to be analyzed by the government, not you," Ross shook his head. "If you wanted to help your case, you should've sent some fingerprints, not videos of them saving virtual citizens. I don't see a tracking bracelet on your daughter, and I doubt you have them on the others."

"The only place the Elementals have been after escaping Hawkes is this compound," I told the general. I could feel my heart beating furiously, but my tone was cool. "Let me remind you that he has our DNA, and with it-"

"He can combine all of your powers and so on- you've said this several times, Miss Stark," Ross cut me off. "The United Nations has several soldiers that have been trained in the event of a situation like this, grown adults. You... the Elementals... you're children, teenagers with the ability to move wind or whatever."

"That thought process didn't exist when you wanted to lock me up on the Raft," I said curtly. "At fourteen, I was told I could be arrested with adult charges because of what I can do. I didn't ask to have these powers, and I certainly don't think I act like it!" Ross grumbled to himself and turned away, rubbing at his temples. "Time and time again, I have risked my life to defend those who can't defend themselves. My team and I have been preparing to go out there and do that all again."

"Yes, your team," the man pressed. "What happens after Anthony Hawkes, if someone tries to stand up and fight again? You take over the job for the Avengers? Seems fitting that your father is watching over it all."

"Hang on, Ross, I-"

"Jesus!" I stood up angrily, the chair I was sitting on slamming backward into the ground from the speed I moved at. "Is this what we seem to you? Replacements? This isn't some big conspiracy scheme! I'm fifteen, it's not like I-" I cut myself off as I realized what I was going to say next. I didn't need the man knowing I was going to die, or that anyone else was.