61. Holly, Not Jolly

"Do you have to leave now?" my father asked me from the couch with a sigh and his head hung

   "Do you have to leave now?" my father asked me from the couch with a sigh and his head hung. December had come quick, and light snow was falling outside my windows. Thomas and Peter were out somewhere exploring the city while Fox and my father were preparing the apartment for my absence. "You just... how do I know I won't lose you for good this time?"

"I trusted the Guardians with my life back then and I still trust them now. It's only a few days, Dad." I was tying on the boots I had brought home from space, sitting on the ground with one leg extended and my hair in two twin braids that draped over my Guardians jacket. My drawstring bag was filled to the brim with clothes, personal hygiene supplies, and electronic devices for Quill and Rocket. "I'll be less than ten space jumps away."

"Yeah, that's not exactly a soothing thought, but the effort is appreciated," he couldn't help but chuckle. I smiled in response, but I knew deep down it was a grim one. I didn't want to risk Hawkes's threat becoming reality, so I told no one anything. Not even Fox, who immediately knew something was off the moment I had a session with him. "Even though the holiday's not for a bit, I... I had to give something to you ahead of time." Fox slid me a paper file, and I opened it slowly, squinting to read the small font. "It's been a hassle to get permission and obtain signatures, plus the process isn't exactly the normal one-"

"These are adoption papers," I cut him off, looking up shakily. "These... these are adoption papers."

"You're repeating yourself, Water Girl," my father grinned cheekily. "Of course, I can't make anything legal until you sign your consent-"

"Thank you," I cried, springing up to my feet and wrapping my arms around his neck. My momentum caused the two of us to fall sideways on the couch. He was laughing, and I was too along with crying... but it wasn't all tears of joy. I had no idea what Hawkes's plans were for me or if I'd even come back, and he had no idea about what I was about to go through. He had gone through all of this trouble to try and create a future where I could actually be his daughter. "Thank you!"

"Don't act like it's the end of the world, kiddo," my father told me, ruffling the top of my head and causing my hair to frizz. "Once you get back, it's the five of us against the world. Hawkes won't even stand a chance."

"Four?" I questioned curiously. "We make two."

"Well, you and me, for starters. Pep makes three, Happy is most definitely four."

"I make five," Fox laughed, plopping Harley's bag of dog food by the front door. "It's certainly been hard, but your friend Faith had him tracked down for a few weeks before I could even find him. She's making this job a lot easier on us."

"You're gonna make sure she stays safe while I'm gone, right?" I asked the two of them. "And Thomas and the rest of them. I don't want anything going wrong while I'm gone."