14. Making My Way Down-State

"Peter, let's go!" I yelled across the apartment, leaning on my two suitcases. It had been two weeks since our trip to the apartment, which was almost mine. I had been doing paperwork for the apartment, and thanks to my father, who graciously 'asked to buy it', I was awaiting a call telling me I could move in. To celebrate, I had booked a trip to Florida for a week... for two.

"I'm almost done packing!" Peter yelled back for the third time. May stood next to me and huffed impatiently. I had told her my father (Richard Star, I think I named him?) was inviting me to his condo, and that he wanted to meet the boy who saved my life. May couldn't say no, but she offered to drive with us to the airport. Of course, I had to be on guard. The place would be swarming with police, and if I was discovered... well, I'd be going to the Raft.

"Peter, if you aren't ready in two minutes I will personally drag you all the way to Florida!" May shouted, tucking her hair behind her ear. She turned to me and smiled grimly. "Bella, I'm sorry about my nephew," she apologized for him.

"It's fine," I said, rubbing the side of my face. I raised my voice slightly so he could hear us. "I guess Peter just doesn't want to see the Stark convention there!" I raised a finger to my lips to stop May from asking the question. Lifting my metal hand, I slowly counted down my five fingers. As the last one came down, Peter came running into the living room, clothes sticking out of his suitcase. A bit of his Spider-Man mask stuck out, which he hastily stuffed back in. He was breathing heavily.

"Well," he panted. "I'm ready." He noticed May and I's devious looks and slapped his arms down. "There is no Stark convention, is there?" May chuckled and shook her head. "Dam- I mean darn it."

"Nice save," May commented. She opened the door and motioned for us to go out. "C'mon, c'mon. The cab arrives in a few minutes!" Peter and I scurried out the door, the suitcase wheels screeching as we speed walked down the hallway and into the elevator. "Now," May instructed Peter as the elevator went down. "You stay with Bella and don't wander off when you're in Florida. You are not allowed to go into any clubs or buy booze or whatever." Peter gave a worried laugh. "I'm serious, Peter! If I find out that you did crack or get drunk I will make sure you never go on a trip ever again!"

"I'll take care of him, May," I assured her, and she pointed a finger at me almost accusingly.

"And her too!" she added. "You as so much hurt her-"

"May!" Peter interrupted as the elevator doors opened. We pulled our suitcases through the small lobby and outside, where it was starting to rain. I lifted one of my lighter bags to shield myself from the droplets as we waited for May's car to come. Peter followed suit, but he used on of his bigger ones to cover him and May. "I would never do anything to Bella, I promise," Peter smiled.

A yellow taxi pulled up and honked loudly at us to get inside. I rolled my eyes at the driver. It wasn't even a minute he waited before his impatient ass acted out. May slid into the passenger seat while Peter and I crammed into the back, our luggage stowed between our legs.

"Why are you bringing the suit?" I hissed at him quietly so both the driver and May couldn't hear. "Can't you hang Spider-Man up for a week?"

"You know I can't do that," he whispered back. "What if something happens?"

"We do have police," I pointed out. "Working kind defeats the purpose of a vacation." Peter drummed his fingers against his knees as he stared out the window. I slid my phone out of my pocket and checked my email for anything on the apartment. Nothing new. I sighed and slid out a pair of earbuds, sticking them in my ears.

I will leave my heart at the door

I won't say a word

They've all been said before you know