68. The Air Elemental

I spent the next few days with Bucky, slowly telling him about what I had gone through when Hawkes had kidnapped me

   I spent the next few days with Bucky, slowly telling him about what I had gone through when Hawkes had kidnapped me. I told him about space, about all the planets I had been on and the people I had met. I told him about Peter, which he thought I was joking at first before getting a bit more serious.

"I do want him holding the door open for you," he said to me one night while we ate dinner by the river. A few Wakandan children played around us, giggling at Bucky and occasionally touching where his left arm had once been. "Once this is all over, go on a movie date. You still have those, from what I've heard. You set your head on his shoulder at some point, you're set."

"Good to know," I laughed, and he chuckled as well. I moved my left hand on top of his right, resting it on his wrist and rubbing my thumb. "I wish I could stay here with you."

"I wish you could too," Bucky admitted, losing his smile slightly. The ex-HYDRA assassin sighed, glancing at our hands for a moment before looking back at me. "The world just... it isn't ready meant for me, not yet anyways. The Avengers aren't prepared for a battle like this, only you are. You and the rest of the Elementals."

"Yeah, well, there's a problem with that," I huffed, laying down on my back and squinting up at the sky. "I thought my search was going good, but it turns out that Thomas turned on all of us and Amy... well, I don't know how much time she needs to recover. She's been through a lot. I have absolutely no idea where to start looking for Zane. There's no trace of him, and I tried looking. He disappeared off the map the moment HYDRA took him."

"That may not be the case," Bucky hummed, and I narrowed my eyes. I sat up with a jolt, my jaw dropping slightly as the older man smirked at me.

"Oh, my God," I shook my head in disbelief. "You... you know where Zane is?" Bucky chuckled again, and I slapped his arm with my hand. "I'm serious! I'm not going to read your mind, just tell me!" He rolled his eyes playfully and stood up, extending his hand for me to take.

"He's here," the man told me as he pulled me off the ground. "In Wakanda. Shuri mentioned it once, that there was a boy that had to be kept safe during an attack about two months ago. It was a big deal that the invaders didn't learn about his powers, but I put two and two together when she mentioned something to do with wind-"

"When can I meet him?" I interrupted him. Bucky sighed, shaking his head at me. "I've wasted more time than I should in the attempt of healing. I have to continue on. Please, I beg you."

I may have had four years left to live, but that didn't mean the world deserved the same fate.

______________________________

"Sorry about the whole... choking thing," I apologized to Shuri awkwardly, staying close to her side as she led me through the a Wakandan vendor street. I wore a sleeveless maroon dress that stopped a few inches above my knees, somewhat form fitting to my sickly thin body from Hawkes's torture. The civilians gave me a few second glances as I passed by, which Shuri would respond back for me with a glare in their direction. To my apology, she shrugged and waved it down.