79. Bloodshed

"Time: sixteen forty

"Time: sixteen forty."

I flinched as the bright light turned on above me, illuminating the small room in front of me with a yellow harshness. I sat in the center, my wrists barely held in the handcuffs attaching me to the chair I was in due to my size and malnourishment. My thigh had a decent gash in it. I couldn't see it, but I could feel it, barely wrapped properly. My eyes fluttered for a moment, fighting off a heaviness as if I was resisting sleep.

"Conducting interrogation is Agent Coulson. With me is Agent Willis, Agent Carlton, and Agent Ward."

Those last two words shocked me out of whatever stupor I had been falling into, and I tilted my head up to look forward at the metal table a few feet in front of me. Sitting behind it were the people and their respective names. Phil Coulson sat center, directly across from me, his face stoic. Willis and Carlton, whichever ones they were, consisted of a woman to his left and a man to his right. Grant Ward sat next to the woman, his gaze focused on me. I gave a shiver despite the room being much warmer than the facilities I had spent so much time at. Even captured, HYDRA had found a way to make sure my mouth stayed shut.

"Will you state your name for documentation?" My attention jerked back to Coulson, who was waiting for my response. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ward scratch the tip of his nose with his pinky before giving a quick tap to his chin. I knew the movement well and the order attached: tell the truth, but only what would keep you alive. My period of silence must have been too long, and he sighed before repeating himself. "Please state your name."

"Isabel," I answered, and my throat ached from speaking. Coulson's eyes squinted, and the man next to him began tapping furiously on a tablet he held in his hands.

"Your full name."

"It's just Isabel," I continued, making sure to not make direct eye contact with Ward to avoid any suspiciousness. The man gave the smallest nod, allowing me to keep going. "I don't know my last name. I don't have one."

"Did you forget it?" Coulson inquired.

"Orphaned," I explained simply. The man cleared his throat, and I knew my statement had been proven factual on whatever database he was looking through. Coulson nodded before continuing.

"Three hours ago, you were found standing outside a government facility. What is your explanation for this?"

"I got lost."

"How does a girl in the American foster system end up in Greenland?" the woman next to Coulson questioned, and Ward narrowed his eyes at me. My remark had cost me, and who knew what the punishment would be.

"To tell the truth, I don't... I don't know," I offered. My eyes began to well up with tears, but it wasn't the work of a great actor. After being in HYDRA's hands for so long, my emotions were like a ticking time bomb. In this case, it could possibly be an advantage. "My leg really hurts."