53. Like Lovers Do

"Do we wanna talk about the blue blood thing that just happened?" Peter questioned as we made our way outside, my metal arm around his neck to help me limp by

   "Do we wanna talk about the blue blood thing that just happened?" Peter questioned as we made our way outside, my metal arm around his neck to help me limp by. He had pulled his mask back on, a few small tears showing his skin through the fabric. "I'm pretty sure you didn't have that the last time I saw you."

"Yeah, I don't know either," I answered, biting my bottom lip to try and distract me from the pain still flaring from my injury. "We'll figure it out later. What's the game plan?"

"Stop Vulture from hijacking your dad's plane." I gave Peter a raised eyebrow.

"Vulture?"

"Let me pick a villain name for once. I think it's cool."

"Honestly, I kind of like it," I chuckled before my eyes landed on a figure perched on a billboard across the street. "It's never that easy. He wouldn't be so close; he can't be that stupid."

"I guess he thought he actually killed me," Peter muttered, his voice cracking a little at the end of the sentence. I couldn't blame him. One of our friends' dad just tried to murder him. "Maybe he meant to come here to get ready to attack the plane."

"You teenagers are smarter than you look." The two of us whipped around to see the man who had tried to kidnap me from the boat. A nasty looking welt had formed under his eye, colored with bruises. He didn't have anything in his hands except for a syringe and was swaying with the wind. "You should have killed me, Spider-Man."

"Yeah, I-I don't kill people, sorry to disappoint," Peter stuttered, wrapping his arm around me to pull me closer. "And we're kind of in the middle of something, so you can leave now. Okay?" The man narrowed his eyes at the two of us before getting a look at where my injury was. "Like, now would be nice."

"You don't get why your blood's looking that nasty ass color, do you, Atlantis?" the man sneered, rolling the syringe between his fingers. "Bet you don't know why you have to wear something to control your powers, either?"

"You don't know anything about me," I snarled, clenching my right hand into a fist. My heart was pounding. Why would he know that? How would he know that? "So like my buddy Spider-Man just said, leave."

"Your 'buddy' Spider-Man is gonna have to choose between you and my winged friend over there," he pointed out, jerking his head over in the Vulture's direction. "He's gonna be leaving in less than twenty seconds." The man pointed the syringe accusingly in Peter's direction. "So you, my friend, who do you wanna protect more? A criminal? Or that plane?"

"Don't you dare choose me over that plane," I whispered to Peter nervously.

"I can get you to safety and get to the plane after-"

"You will not," I hissed. The two of us turned our heads at the sound of mechanic wings turning on. "Go." Peter nodded, giving me a soft squeeze before swinging off after him.