50. All I Ask

"That shithead," Stacy cursed from her bedroom, almost pricking her finger with a sewing needle

   "That shithead," Stacy cursed from her bedroom, almost pricking her finger with a sewing needle. "I can't believe he asked Liz. Hell, I can't believe she said yes!" It was finally Homecoming, and I I stood in her bathroom, staring at my long hair, perfectly straightened. Harley glanced up at me and whined, nudging the scissors in my hand with her nose. I lifted them up, looking down the blade. "Bella?" Stacy asked quietly, appearing behind me in the mirror. "What are you-"

I took one last glance at my blue and purple streaks before cutting them off. Every snip spurred a memory of the summer, either with the Guardians or with Peter. It took only a minute before I set the scissors down and hung my head, clutching the sink while waiting for my heartbeat to slow down. Stacy set her hand on my shoulder comfortingly.

"It reminded me too much of him," I whispered, not looking at my reflection. When I did, I couldn't help but laugh at myself. "God, it's so choppy."

"It kind of is," Stacy giggled, cracking a smile. "But my mom can help fix it. It looks cute. Fits your face type well." She bit her lip, giving me a pitying look. "I know this thing kind of meant a lot to you, and I don't know your history with Peter, but don't spend the night moping. You, Betty, Faith, Lix, and I are going to have a great time and we aren't going to let silly boys get the best of us. In fact..." She left my side to grab a box off of her dresser. I followed her and she set it into my hands. "You'll get to prove it to him when he sees you in this."

I lifted the lid off the box and was unable to suppress my gasp of astonishment. After making several dresses for me (that she ended up hating the moment I put it on), she finally made the perfect one. Folded neatly inside the box was a pale cream colored with a sweetheart cut, the fabrics pulled tightly before releasing to create an asymmetrical bottom.

"Stacy... this... this is beautiful," I said slowly, holding the box close to me. "I can't believe... you really did this for me? Why?"

"Because you're my best friend, duh," she answered sarcastically, giving me a hug. "And best friends would do anything for each other." I swallowed, watching as she sat at her vanity to finish her makeup.

"Stace?'" I asked her, setting the box down.

"Yeah?" she smiled, turning her head around to see me. I sat down on her bed, watching Halo skulk over to Harley, currently sleeping, before laying on top of her.

"After Homecoming, I'm gonna do something big. Like on the news big," I started. "And I've been keeping secret about it for the entire year."

"So you're gonna tell me now?"

"I really can't, not until after Homecoming is over," I sighed, swinging my feet back and forth. "But I don't want it to come between us. You're like a sister to me, and I'd hate for us to lose the bond we have."

"I doubt it will strain our relationship as much as you think," Stacy chuckled as she did her mascara. "And honestly, I understand you needing to take your time on talking about this. We all have things we've hidden away that eventually we open up about." With that said, she handed me her spare brush and pointed to her door. "Now, go get that hair fixed for you."