26

Jaein bounces her knee as she impatiently waits for her soulmate to arrive for their scheduled meeting. She had gotten the news that he had excepted the offer, and that they were going to work on the song together with help from Shua. She had expected nothing less from him, but the thought of meeting him right now made her more anxious than usual. It's been a while since they last spoke, even longer since they've last seen each other. She doesn't know whether to pretend nothing had happened or to just get straight to the point. She fumbles with the blank note pad in hand, starting to regret not choosing her brother.

The door opens as she stands up swiftly, looking at the lost face that had just walked through the door. With a slight sigh of relief, she sunk back into her seat, giving him a small smile.

"Uhh I guess I'm in the wrong place." Mark chuckles as he closes the door behind him. "I'm guessing you aren't here to see Jaehyun."

"I'm actually meeting up with Renjun to work on a song." She tells as he stands awkwardly at the edge of the table, giving her surprised nod.

"Oh! I didn't know you guys were working on a song." Mark says in pleasant surprise. "That's pretty cool."

"Yeah, I'm kind of nervous for it, but I'm also really excited." She replies honestly. Especially when they'd be making the song from scratch. Saying that is like giving an artist a canvas, they could spend hours thinking of ideas, making sure they plan out every detail of the perfect masterpiece. Or the artist could go absolutely crazy, putting everything they love into the painting, not exactly caring about the thoughts of an audience.

"Nah don't worry you'll do great. Renjun is a really nice guy, he'll treat you well." He assures as Jaein smiles, nodding along. "Though I'm sure you already know that."

"Hm?" Jaein looks up at the knowing smirk on his face, eyebrows furrowed. She opens her mouth, about to ask if he knows when her heart beat grows stronger. Snapping her head towards the door before it opens, her eyes immediately locking with Renjun's shimmering orbs. She has definitely missed them, she's missed him. It isn't until he notices Mark's presence that he breaks the short eye contact, looking between his girlfriend and her ex.

"I'll just leave." He purses his lips, walking back out the door. Ready to rush after him, Jaein stands up, but Mark stops her before she has the chance to do so.

"I'll take care of it." Mark assures, though Jaein didn't trust that he could, in fact she thinks he'll just make things work. But the look on his face told her he knows what he's doing. She gives him a reluctant nod, sitting back down on her seat, waiting once more.

"Hey dude-- you alright?" Mark asks Renjun who was ready to wait outside for Mark to leave. He didn't think he would be the type to get jealous, and he really doesn't want to be, but when it comes to Mark he can't seem to help it.

"Yeah. You guys done?" He snaps, giving Mark a glare. He doesn't see a point in hiding it, though Mark did nothing to deserve it. Mark shakes his head, letting out a scoff as he walks towards the jealous boy. Placing a hand on Renjun's shoulder, which earned him an odd look.

"I know I'm the last person you want to hear this from." Mark begins, the smirk on his face turning into a sad smile. The atmosphere around them grows quiet. Renjun finally noticing the way Mark looks at him, a mixture of sadness and relief, as if Renjun has taken away something he wanted despite it being bad for him. He's hurting.
"Please take care of her. She deserves so much better." He whispers, trying his best to keep the smile on his face, though Renjun can tell that it's breaking him on the inside. Renjun eases as the words resonate within him, giving Mark the nod that he was waiting for. It makes him realise that he never considered Mark's feelings in all this. He was the one who had his heart broken. He has to watch the girl he was in love with end up with one of his best friends. He tries to picture himself in Mark's position, which makes him pity him even more. He wants to feel guilty for it, as if he was the reason for Mark's pain. But he couldn't.
Mark grabs Renjun's hand, placing a familiar white box into his hand, it's pink ribbon no longer standing up as it did the last time he saw it. Renjun's eyes widen in surprises the object he's been looking for for a while.