14

(Something about Renjun cat dad makes me want to cry)

——

"Yah Jung Jaein." Kim Tami's voice boomed from the other end of the hallway, making Jaein's body freeze. She wanted to move, to leave. But fear stopped her. She thought high school would be a safe place, a place away from Kim Tami, but it was anything but safe.

She heard Tami's footsteps get closer, Jaein swallows, turning around to face her. Everyday she told herself, 'today is the day I stand up to Kim Tami', but everyday, things just got worse and worse.

"You're such a copycat, you know that?" She spat, her lips curling up. Jaein looks down at her shoes, fiddling with the bottom of her shirt. "First, your untalented ass wants to be an idol, copying your hotshot brother you worship so much, then you go to the same school as me, I'm flattered that you love me so much, but please get some originality." Jaein clenched her fists., those were both coincidences she can't control. "Ah, also we should do something about that look of yours, you look like you're trying too hard to fit in, but don't worry, I can help you with that." She pulled out a lipstick from inside her pocket, twisting it out to reveal it's dark red colour. With each turn, Jaein's gut churns. "This will make you stand out so well." Jaein's breath was shaky as she felt the cold tip of the lipstick touch her forehead, as Tami's laugh, joined with the laugh of by standers and her friends filled her head. Leaving her helpless. Jaein couldn't hold on her tears, it was embarrassing, but her clean reputation is completely ruined anyways. Whatever Tami is writing on her face, is the way she'll be seen for the next three years.

As the lipstick continues to stain her face she suddenly felt a warm hand grab her arm, before it swiftly pulls her into a nearby classroom, the door slamming after she had entered. The crowd outside groans, as if they were disappointed that the show was over. Kim Tami had done worse, but for this to happen on the first day of school, made Jaein dread the coming years.

She looked at the hand that grabbed her, expecting it to be her brother. But it wasn't. Instead it was a small looking boy, who showed her a sad smile, his eyes full of both worry and pity for her. She pulled her arm away from him, pulling it to her chest. He grabbed a box of tissues from the front of the classroom, giving it to her, along with his water bottle.

"I don't know if this will help but take it." He said, his voice soft, it felt safe.

"What does it say?" Jaein asked quietly, taking the tissues from him, dabbing water from her drink bottle onto some tissues. The boy paused.

"I can't read korean." He lied, before helping her wipe the lipstick away.

"I'm Mark by the way." He said as she looked up at him, their eyes locking. She nods.

"Thank you, Mark." She smiled softly. "I'm Jaein."

------------

"Does anyone know where my green shirt went?" Jisung yells, poking his head out into the hallway. Everyone in the dorm is packing up some of their stuff to go home over break, except for Renjun, who will have the whole place to himself, though Haechan will probably sleep over for a few days when he gets bored. Renjun's gotten an offer from Chenle to stay at his place so that he won't feel lonely, but he knows some of the members will come by anyways, since they're only friends are pretty much each other, he has no doubts he's going to see them.

"Check the dryer." Renjun suggests as he sits at the living room table, trying to draw a cat into his sketchbook. It isn't looking bad, but Renjun's not sure if he likes it or not.

"Ah no wait it was under my matress." Jisung says from his room, earning a laugh from Jeno's room.

"Can you guys clean up your stuff from out here as well?" Renjun asks in their direction, referring to the living room, dining and kitchen area. It's a mess, something that Renjun, or any of them, really minded, but he knows he might want to bring Jaein over, and he doesn't want to be the one who cleans up after them.