43 | "I'm afraid I'll make a mistake otherwise."

"I'm afraid I'll make a mistake otherwise."

Laura's POV

You guys may be wondering what happened after the hug ?

Well...

That was it.

The only thing that followed was awkwardness.

"So.", I cleared my throat, "Should we go with this layout ?", I asked, looking at the screen, avoiding his gaze at all costs.

He was scribbling something on the corner of his paper absentmindedly, not responding to my question.

Well, the only thing this assignment has lead us to, is awkward moments. I don't feel like my knowledge has increased even in the slightest bit.

"Hey, if you're not feeling well, we can work on this another day..", I suggested. "Ross ?"

"Huh ?", he turned towards me startled. It took me a second to realise that his cheeks were flushed. Without any second thought I leaned forward and put my palm on his forehead and the other one on mine to compare.

"Do you have fever ?", I asked concerned. He shifted his gaze around the room, not making any eye contact. "Is it maybe because you didn't dry your hair ? I mean it's pretty cold outside."

I waited for him to respond before he grabbed my hand and put it down while finally looking at me. "Let's stop here."

"Stop ? The assignment?", I questioned. "Why ?"

"I'm afraid I'll make a mistake otherwise.", he said before standing up and gathering his things.

"A mistake ?"

He packed his things and left the library, not giving me a chance to say another word.

I stood there dumbfounded.

Did I do something wrong ? Is he mad ?

But more importantly.. are we ever going to finish this assignment ?

After getting some work done, I decided to also leave the library.

I took my phone out while walking home and checked my messages.

I can't believe that picture of me back when I fell asleep on the bus is still our group picture.

I smiled to myself before I dialed Maia's number.

"Hello ?"

"Are you busy right now ? If not, let's talk till I get home."

"Weren't you supposed to work on your assignment with Ross ?"

"Uh yeah... but he suddenly left..", I trailed off.

"Wow, what a guy.", Maia said, laughing drily.

"I suppose that something happened today at football practice... I guess that put him in a bad mood."

"Oh yeah, I remember Lucas telling me something like that."

I sighed, "Whatever."

"Hey, you wanna go to a party today ?", she suddenly requested.

"All of sudden ?"

"I mean we could have a good time there."

"Thank you for the offer but I'll gladly decline.", I told her honestly. "Don't you remember what happened the last time I went to one ?"

"Oh, right.", Maia realised out loud. "You and Ross kissed."

I rolled my eyes, trying to ignore the fact that my heartbeat picked up by the thought of it, "I was actually referring to meeting Alec."

"Oh, right.", Maia sighed, "You know, no matter how much I think about it, I don't think that it should be you who avoids him. He should be ashamed."

I stayed silent and she continued, "I really want you to move on from him. I hate that that jerk has had such a big impact on you."

I stopped walking for a second, "I also hate it."

After arriving home, I straightly went to my bed and threw myself on it.

Should I watch a movie ?

I took my laptop and started looking around in Netflix before choosing one.

The 5th Wave.

I was lying comfortable on my bed when my phone began to ring. I picked it up, my eyes still fixed on the screen. "Yeah ?"

"Hey, you maybe wanna come over ?", I heard Maia say in a rush.

I rolled my eyes, "I told you that I d-"

"Ross got into a fight."

I widened my eyes and instantly sat up, "What ?"

"Yeah, he kind of provoked him and they started to fight...", Maia trailed off.

"Who ?"

"Alec."

•••

Hello there, new chapter 🙃 Hope you liked

•Fave line ?❣️

•One thing you can't live without ?🍕

•Favorite app ?📱

•favorite color ?💜

This book is slowly coming to an eeeend guys 🤭✨

Have an amazing day and stay safe.🕊

-tice