14 | "Two can play this game."

stay beautiful my adorkies💗

Chapter 14 "Two can play this game."

Laura's POV

"Laura darling, I don't know how to thank you. ", my aunt said while glancing at me before looking back ahead on the road.

"It's no problem, really. I love spending time with Eva. She's like my little sister by now.", I told my aunt with a reassuring smile.

"Oh darling, I don't know what I would do without you. You don't even have an idea how much of a help you are for me.", she said with a small smile.

I just smiled back.

She's raising Eva on her own since Eva's dad left when she was only one year old. She did a great job for a single mom and raised Eva as such a cheerful kid, that made everyone around her like her.

I smiled when I remembered the day of Eva's birth. Since my mom only has one sister it meant a lot to her and also to me since I loved my aunt and her having a baby  was just too exciting. I use every chance I get to help her since she also is the only one who works in her house.

"How are things with Chase ?", I asked instead while looking at her.

Chase is my Aunt's boyfriend who happens to be her long best friend who actually crossed the friendzone after James, Eva's dad, left her. It was good for my aunt, who's name is Avery by the way, since Chase always stood by her side and supported her in any way he could.

I saw her cheeks flush at the mention of his name and I grinned amused. That was the reaction I was hoping for.

"It's, uh going good. We haven't been able to meet a lot recently because I've been working more shifts at work.", she said while glancing at me with a nervous smile.

"Well, you know, you can always call me over to keep an eye of Eva so you can go out with him. ", I requested just as she stopped the car and turned the engine off.

"Laura, you literally have no idea how much I love you.", she said before giving me a hug. I giggled and muttered an 'I love you back' just as I realized that we've arrived.

I pulled back from the hug and than looked at the house where Eva's playdate would take place. It looked big and nice. I hope her parents would be nice so that I don't get bored to death and have someone to talk to.

"Oh, we're here !", I heard Eva squeal as she opened the car impatient and slammed the door after her shut.

Me and my aunt Avery looked at each other before we both broke into laughter. "See you later, Auntie.", I said and gave her a cheeky grin while getting out of the car and closing the door afterwards.

"I've told you so many times to call me Avery, Laura.", my aunt said before she rolled her eyes playfully.

"Whatever.", I said before sticking my tongue out and giggling childlike, but who cares, right ?

I took Eva by her hand and than walked up to the porch after we both said our goodbyes to my aunt and she drove off.

I rang the doorbell and turned to Eva with a smile plastered on my face, "Are you excited ?", I asked her.

She nodded impatiently before saying, "I really love playing with Chris !"

I furrowed my brows while calling back memories of that one day in the park a few  weeks ago.

Flashback

"Come on, maybe the kid also wants to play with me if I ask.", she said excited.

"I'm sure the kid couldn't resist your adorableness, Eva.", I said laughing.

When we than arrived, I looked around and saw the kid, which was a little boy. Eva walked over to him and than they started to play together.

End of flashback

"Wait, you mean Chris from the park w-", I started but didn't get to finish because the door was opened and the scene in front of me surprised me to the point where I was almost going to stumble backwards and land on my ass.

Ross was giving Chris a piggyback ride and both were laughing so hard that crinkles formed at the end of their eyes. Ross his hair was all messy and I concluded that that was probably because he was playing with Chris.

Suddenly, our gazes locked and I sucked in a breath. His laughing slowly died down and he coughed awkwardly as he put the protesting Chris down from his back and opened the door wider so me and Eva could enter.

I stood there awkwardly as I wasn't able to move. Instead, Eva started to chase Chris and followed him into the house, leaving me alone with Ross.

"So, you're, uh babysitting Eva again ?", Ross asked while going through his hair with his hand, attempting to undone the damage Chris .It was more of a statement than a question though.

I nodded and returned his question, "And you're babysitting Chris ?", which was a simply dumb question because if he wouldn't, he wouldn't be here, right ?

He scratched the back of his neck which made his shirt lift up a little but I didn't dare to look. "Yeah."

I nodded again and was so glad that he was the first one to break the awkward silence, "Aren't you coming in ?"

"Uh, yes.", I said with an awkward smile while walking past him into the house, hearing him close the door afterwards. Without any further word, I just followed him into the livingroom where Eva and Chris were already playing some game.

Ross sat down on the couch and I sat with some distance next to him.

"Don't be so awkward, sweetheart.", he said with a sly smile,

I raised my brow at the last word of his sentence and repeated, "Sweetheart ?"

He grinned at my reaction as if it was the one that he was hoping for and nodded, "Yeah,  sweetheart. I kind of feel the need to find a nickname for you so I'm gonna try a few out and see which one fits the most."

I narrowed my eyes at him but couldn't stop the smile forming on my lips, "Well if you insist, Jerk."

"Jerk ?", he repeated before smirking.

"Two can play this game.", I said amused.

"Well, let's see, I guess. I'm probably more creative with nicknames anyway.", he stated while putting his hands behind his head and  leaning back on the couch.

"Don't think so.", I said while also leaning back and giving him a look while crossing my arms in front of my chest.

His eyes played amusement in them as he watched me and I could tell that this day was going to be longer than I thought.

•••
NEW CHAPTEER WHOP WHOOP👏🏻

Is there a development between Ross and Laura ? 💞

Tell me your thoughts in the comments👇🏼

•Fave line ?💗

-t.