[Chapter 4]

Chapter 4

The next morning I woke and got dressed. I walked downstairs hearing Daphne’s voice from the kitchen. She was talking to Momaw about Thanksgiving.

“Momaw?” I could hear her ask.

I tip toe toward the kitchen standing to listen.

“Yeah, baby?”

I hear Daphne sigh, “Is cousiy Laura coming with us?”

Momaw sighs and I can hear her footsteps moving toward Daphne who must be sitting at the table. She probably crouched down to look into her eyes, “You remember I told you earlier that she can’t. She’s going to see her mother for the holidays.”

I hear Daphne grumble, “Why, though Momaw? Aunt Molly is so mean. We treat cousiy Laura nice and her mommy doesn’t. I want her to stay here so she doesn’t get hurt by aunt Molly.”

I smile my eyes trying to tear up. I suck in a deep breath walking around the wall into the kitchen before Momaw could speak. Daphne smiles pushing out of the chair running toward me smiling. I lean down on my knees picking her up and holding her on my hip.

“Daphne?”

She grins at me, “Yeah, Cousiy?”

I sigh looking down at her, “Why do you think Aunt Molly is so mean?”

She shrugs her shoulders, “You always seem so sad when she comes around, cousiy. I don’t like you looking so sad.”

I smile, “Daphne, as long as you are around I’m always happy. I’ll make you a deal; Gabe will protect me from Aunt Molly, alright?”

She sighs holding up her pinky finger on her left hand, “Promise?”

I smile twisting my finger with hers, “Absolutely.”

She grins clapping her small hands together. I let her down as she runs back to her chair climbing up. Momaw places a bowl down in front of her and she quickly digs into the food. Momaw turns to me smiling, “Take a seat, Laura. I have already cooked breakfast for everyone anyway.”

I sigh shaking my head, “You didn’t have to do all that. I would have cooked for everyone. You shouldn’t be walking on your feet with your knees bothering you.”

She rolls her eyes ushering me toward the table, “I wanted to cook for everyone. Plus, Daphne woke pretty early than you and Gabe so I fixed her some cereal first and then got her dressed. I’m not an invalid, Laura; I can take care of myself no matter what you might think.”

I sigh nodding and taking a seat next to Daphne. She smiles at me eating on a strip of bacon. Suddenly we hear footsteps running down the stairs. A mess of brown hair enters the room and I chuckle, seeing Gabe dressed in a pair of basketball shorts and shirtless.

“Gabe?” I ask trying to get his attention.

He rubs his eyes turning toward the sound of my voice, “Laura?”

I smile, “What’s up? You came running down the stairs in a rush.”

He smiles sheepishly, “Sorry, I smelt food. I’m starving.”

Momaw giggles from her place at the stove, “Take a seat then. The food will be ready shortly.”

Gabe takes the empty seat across from me looking at Daphne. She smiles at him her cheeks darkening. I shake my head knowing she’s developing a crush on my boyfriend. Not that I care or anything because she’s only a child. Daphne turns toward me finishing the strip of bacon in her hands, “Cousiy, Laura, is Aunt Molly really marrying the vampire guy?”