[Chapter 30]

Chapter 30

            The dress shop was one of those expensive shops. There were dresses all over the store but it wasn’t just that. There were so many name brand dresses in the store. Mom was in her element though, as she enjoyed trying on dresses.

I sat outside the dressing rooms as both mom and Sarah were trying on dresses. According to mom, she had decided that the maid of honor would wear a completely different dress from the bridesmaids. I was worried about what dress mom might choose because of Kimi and Annie. We all hated pink while Sarah absolutely loved the horrendous color.

The room I sat in was a beige color while I sat on a couch that was probably worth more money than the bed I slept on at home. The material was smooth to the touch and the color wasn’t bad on my eyes either.

The door on the right opened revealing Sarah in a light pink dress that was short in the front put draped lower to the floor in the back. She had this satisfied grin on her face that said she was going to get this dress if it was the last thing she did.

The dressing room on the left opened revealing my mom in a white dress with a sleeve over her shoulder that looks like a cape. Mom glanced over at Sarah who now stood on a pedestal in front of a mirror.

“Oh Sarah, that looks wonderful on you.”

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes as mom stood beside Sarah inspecting the dress. Mom wasn’t even saying anything about the dress she was wearing as her entire attention was devoted to Sarah.

“What do you think about this dress, Laura?” asked mom turning toward me with a bright grin on her face.

There was something else in her eyes that seemed to say something else she wasn’t saying aloud. I shook my head standing to my feet, “I hope you know that Kimi and Annie will not wear this. They both hate pink terribly.”

Mom sighed shrugging, “I love the way the dress fits Sarah though.”

I roll my eyes returning to the couch, “Sarah’s not the only bridesmaid, mom. You also have Karen and Jennifer who aren’t as young and fit as Sarah is. The dress will not look right on them.”

Mom sighed shaking her head, “I’m sure it will look fine for an hour. They can always bring another dress if they want.”

I couldn’t stand around as Sarah and her conversed excitedly over the horrendous pink contraption they called a dress. I walked back into the main area of the store deciding to roam the racks for something better that might hit the spot with both mom and Sarah, not to mention mom’s other bridesmaids.

I found two different dresses on the racks. There was a red dress that was strapless along with a black dress. I kept searching though hoping to find something else that spoke wonders to my soul. I finally found another red dress but this one wasn’t strapless and it seemed to be made from silk material. There was something about the dress that said something about not only me but Kimi as well. I could visualize my own wedding in my head as any other girl or woman had done before. I could imagine Kimi as my maid of honor in this dress, which only pulled at my heartstrings.

I carried all three back into the dressing room area to find Sarah sitting in my spot on the couch holding the bag with the pink dress inside.

Mom stood on the pedestal in a completely different dress. It was another white dress that was more mermaid as it flowed at the bottom, but it was layered. None of the dresses mom was trying on complimented her in the right way. She still had a few dress bags in her dressing room so I knew she was nowhere near completion.