[Chapter 8]

Chapter 8

The next morning I woke to the chilly air of my bedroom. I turn over to see Gabe laying on his back his eyes closed looking as peaceful as anyone can be. I yawn looking around my room for my clock seeing it on the dresser.

8:55am.

I mentally groan at the early time. I want to lie back down but I know I’ll never fall asleep again. I think back to last night and the sounds of mom’s voice floating up the stairs. She’ll never change. Just getting back and seeing her old friends put her in a drinking mood. It reminds me of the night that she came home with Robert the first night and her drunken-self coming in the house.

I remember seeing Robert’s face the next morning before school. It was a nervous day already and he was new around the house. Couldn’t find anything and I had to point out where glasses were and her medication that was around the house.

I groan tossing the covers from my body as the a/c air hits my body causing a shiver to wrack my body. I shake my head rubbing my eyes from the sleep crust as I push myself to my feet. I creep along the floor toward my bathroom quietly closing the door behind me. I quickly have my morning pee before quietly flushing the toilet and standing in front of the sink and mirror washing my hands.

My brown hair is a mess of bed hair. My face shows lines from my pillow causing me to groan. I grab my toothbrush on the counter deciding to brush my teeth early. My entire mouth is dry telling me I need a glass of water. I quickly yet quietly brush my teeth before rinsing my mouth out and skipping the mouthwash. I’ll probably just get something to eat downstairs anyway, so what’s the real point.

I move from the bathroom glancing over at the bed again. Gabe has turned over facing the bathroom and windows a goofy sleepy smile on his face. I shake my head rubbing my hands from the coldness in the room. I’m already dressed in a pair of gray and blue pajamas but the shirt is long sleeve but I still froze most of the night.

I shake my head slipping my feet into a pair of slippers and grabbing my phone from the desk. I smile at Gabe’s figure as I move toward the door stepping out into the hallway. My entire body groans at the sudden movements since I’m still half-asleep. I pull the door quietly close behind me as I look up and down the hallway.

I’m surprised that I don’t hear familiar snores from mom’s room. I know either her or Robert snores when they’re in deep sleep. Mom tends to snore more after she’s drank alcohol at night. Ican't even hear the springs groaning at the weight. I know I’ve been gone for a few months but that doesn’t change anything. I would know the sounds of those springs anywhere.

I bite my bottom lip moving toward the stairs. My eyes widen at the ray of light shining up the stairs from the foyer light. I’ve never know mom to get up early after a night of drinking. It used to a miracle to get her up at noon after a night of heavy drinking. I shrug my shoulders as I walk down the stairs hearing nothing on downstairs.

I walk through the living room noticing nothing out of place. I know I didn’t dream of them coming in last night. Mom has been known to get so drunk that she had to stay at a hotel before coming home. She’s done it so many times that it became something ordinary.

Suddenly my ears pick up movement and sound from the kitchen. I move toward the sound swallowing down the nerves. My hands come back up to my eyes rubbing the sleep particles from the edges. I glance around the entrance of the kitchen doors for some clue as to who might be in there.

I let my lip go from my teeth pushing the doors open. Apparently, I scare Robert as he sits at the bar snacking on something while watching TV. He jumps from the stool his eyes wide as he sees me enter, “Laura, don’t scare me like that. I thought it was Molly or something.”