[Chapter 33]

Chapter 33

March 19, 2011-

Wedding Day

            The days leading up to the wedding were spent in my bedroom. My cheeks were sore from the tears that had soaked them for days. I had told Kimi, Annie, and Momaw what happened when I told Robert the truth. Nothing had happened, exactly as I feared, but I wasn’t too upset. Yes, I was heartbroken but I realized that I didn’t need Robert anymore. I had a love that hardly anyone got to have and that was enough for me for the rest of my life.

I was happy that I had gotten a child out of our relationship. A child that was part me and part Robert, he couldn’t change that about the child growing inside of me.

Robert hadn’t talked to me either. He avoided me like the plague at every turn. After the first day of being ignored I stayed in my room avoiding both him as well as my mother. The wedding was still in motion but I felt as if I were frozen while the world was moving beyond me. Kimi and Annie were beyond pissed off but I made them stay away from Robert and my mother because I feared they might do something terrible if given the chance.

It was the morning of the wedding when I began to feel the change in the air. I woke alone in the room leaving to the kitchen for breakfast. It was eight in the morning as I sat at the counter eating a bowl of cereal, grits, as well as a hot pocket. I didn’t want to risk getting hungry during the day and passing out from overworked nerves during the wedding.

“Laura, there you are.” I turned to find my mom entering the kitchen dress in her housecoat, “We have to be at the church by nine thirty, so you have to get into the shower quickly. No long showers as usual, we don’t have much time. My alarm didn’t go off and your grandmother had to wake me this morning.”

I nodded watching her grab a mug filling it with more coffee. I swallowed the cereal before asking, “Have you seen Kimi and Annie this morning? They weren’t in my room when I woke.”

Mom smiled at me shrugging, “I heard they went to the florist with Karen this morning at seven. They were awake with your grandmother. It was surprising that you weren’t awake with them.”

Something was up around this house. I was sure Kimi and Annie were planning something with my grandmother but I had no idea what it could possibly be.

Sarah entered the kitchen in a light pink dress which I assumed she would change out of at the church.

“Mom, seriously, stop with the coffee. You think you’re nervous right now, just wait until the coffee starts hitting you.”

Mom sighed pouring the rest of the coffee down the drain, “Laura, please get into the shower soon. You’ll put your dress on at the church. I have to get into my room, I’ve already showered. Robert is heading to the church in a few hours, he slept on the couch last night because of the rule don’t see the bride before the wedding.”

I nodded faking a smile as she and Sarah left the kitchen. I finished my cereal placing the bowls in the sink and leaving toward the stairs. By the time I made it up the stairs the front door opened and I heard Kimi and Annie’s voices.

“Laura!”

I groaned turning around as they came up the stairs grinning, “Ready for a wedding,” they said but I could see the sadness in their irises.

I smiled at them understanding and knowing they just didn’t understand where I was coming from. They helped me into the bathroom connected to my bedroom. I showered while my mind was a million miles away. I couldn’t even think about anything else. My mind was ravaged by the fact that the man that I was still in love with was getting married to another woman today. That woman just happened to be my mother of all people.