[Chapter 20]

Chapter 20

 A/N: Just a fair warning, there are song lyrics in this chapter just the same as New Year’s Eve from the other book. If someone wants to create a video with the songs, I’d gladly appreciate it. Remember, the songs are from 2010. Some songs shouldn't be skipped overall as between a few verses there are small talking points. FYI

 December 31, 2010

             The backseat of the cab was tight and cramped. Kimi and Annie groan at the space for us. Gabe was right to take the front seat instead of the back. There wouldn’t have been room for all four of us. I’m sure Annie would have taken the front seat so that I could be with Gabe in the back, though.

 Mom had given me the address to the building earlier in the week. I kind of hoped that this celebration wouldn’t be too big and that there wouldn’t be too many people around. Kimi touches my arm sliding her finger along my wrist capturing my attention.

 “Who all do you think will be there?” she asks.

 I shrug my shoulders shaking my head, “I haven’t a clue. There might be a few people that mom works with. I’ve met a few people but not very many. They probably wouldn’t even recognize me if they saw me again. Most of them probably know my sister more than they know me.”

 Annie nudges my shoulder grinning, “Do you think any of Robert’s family might be there?”

 I tilt my head to the side before shrugging, “I’m not sure. As far as I know they aren’t supposed to come around until the wedding. His sister might show up but I’m not very sure.”

 I actually would like to meet her and see if she may like me since she doesn’t like my mom. Kimi sighs shaking her head as the taxi comes to a stop in the middle of the street.

 “I swear, I thought the fucking gridlock on movies was a joke.”

 I hear Gabe chuckle from the front seat along with a grin from Annie at my side. The driver acts a little strange during our conversation. We move again but it’s barely a complete mile from where we were.

 “I’m sorry about this gridlock. Times square is closed off since the ball drop. Your destination is about two blocks around the corner up there. I wouldn’t say anything if I could get you there but this gridlock could be like this for the rest of the evening,” replies the cab driver.

 Gabe turns around in his seat staring at us, “What do you guys want to do?”

 Kimi answers Gabe by shoving the door ajar shaking her head, “Let’s walk. If it’s five miles or more, we’ll catch another cab. I can’t walk too far in these damn heels.”

 Annie giggles opening her door and sliding out as I follow behind her. Gabe quickly pays the cabby for the drive he did make before joining us on the sidewalk. The city seems so much more alive than last year around this time.

 “I still can’t believe everyone is so happy,” whispers Kimi glancing around her.

 Annie shakes her head skipping in front of us as Gabe walks beside me, “What did you expect? It’s been years since the attack. Everyone is celebrating as the holiday calls for it.”

 I smile nodding, “This is the one holiday that it’s prudent to be in this city. I mean no other city in the country does this holiday in the same way.”

 I turn my head toward Gabe but he’s staring forward seeming to ignore my gaze. I shake my head sighing in frustration beside Kimi who takes my hand. Kimi can always tell when I’m bothered by something. She smiles at me which perks up my mood as we join arms with Annie skipping ahead of Gabe. I’ve never felt so free before suddenly not caring about Gabe, Sarah, my mom, or Robert.