[Chapter 15]

Chapter 15

December 22, 2010

            During the beginning of the week, Gabe and I make ourselves useful. Annie and I stay in the kitchen, helping cook things for the Christmas party as well as Christmas dinner. I never knew before that Gabe loves children. I suppose I should have guessed considering Gabe has plenty of brothers and sisters from his mother’s side of the family.

I love watching Gabe interact with the kids because he is just a natural. He pretty much stayed in the living room playing with Phil and Sam. Sam didn’t want to admit it but it was obvious that he was having some fun with Gabe while watching movies and playing games. Daphne was practically glued to Annie and me so we all helped cook the food, which I believe Daphne loved the most.

Karen kept gazing at Gabe and me whenever we were together in a room. There was something in the way she gazed at us that always put me on alert. I don’t know what it was but it always gave me the chills. Momaw merely smiled at us but there was something else in her eyes when she would look.

It was actually a pretty peaceful afternoon just sitting the kitchen with my grandmother and Aunt Karen. Daphne was in the living room watching Sleeping Beauty on the screen while Gabe had taken the boys into town to the arcade.

Karen seems to trust Gabe around the boys and he seems to be really natural with them anyway. She didn’t want to admit it but I know that Uncle Jack tagged along with them. Phil can be a handful on someone not used to his antics.

I know Daphne hadn’t slept well last night so there’s a decent chance she’ll fall asleep on the couch. Rachel is actually outside right now.

I raise my head smiling at Momaw, “Are you sure it’s going to snow?”

Momaw shrugs her shoulders, “It might not snow heavily, but there’s a chance for a few flurries. I tried telling Rachael that, the girl just doesn’t listen.”

I giggle nodding my head turning toward Annie at the table. She’s been quiet since we arrived a few days ago. I don’t know what’s wrong with her because she won’t talk to me or anyone else. I know she was up late last night talking to my grandmother for some reason.

I only know because after my shower I went to her room to talk with her because Gabe was dead to the world. I went searching for her when I heard voices in the kitchen so I just left them both alone. Unfortunately, Momaw has been looking at me strangely all day, I can only hope, and pray that Annie didn’t let my secret slip to her.

I grab the bowl of chocolate glancing toward Momaw to make sure she’s not looking my way. I turn toward Annie smirking at her to see her eyes mischievous toward me has we both take the bowl slipping it underneath the table. We hear a slight giggle jumping to see Aunt Karen sitting on the side of the small round wooden table smiling at us.

She merely shakes her head as she continues stirring the bowl of marshmallows. There’s some kind of candy recipe Karen is making that she discovered from the internet that requires marshmallows.

Annie smiles at me as we both dip a finger into the bowl attaining chocolate on our fingers. We quickly lick the evidence from our fingers before Momaw can turn around.

Suddenly Momaw tisks, “Here I thought my granddaughter and her friend were better mannered than this. Stealing my bowl of chocolate.”

Momaw turns around shaking her head at us but there’s the slightest hint of a smile. She waves toward us, “Go ahead. I was done with that bowl anyway, plus it’s not like I can use it now that you’ve both put your fingers inside the bowl.”