[Chapter 7]

Chapter 7

I shake my head watching Mom rub her fingers over Robert’s knuckles. My fingers clench from my lap wishing the server would suddenly come in announcing fire and that we’d run from the room.

Mom giggles again smiling toward Robert, “How about I tell Gabe and Laura about how we met? It’s such a romantic tale.”

Robert sighs before he smiles toward her nodding his head, “Whatever you want, babe.”

There’s that word “babe” again. Robert has used that word about four times since we’ve arrived at the restaurant. I was, at first, surprised about the word because he never used to use that word. It now seems to give off the affection of their relationship that I can’t seem to comprehend.

Mom is cuddlier and in your face than she ever was before. Maybe it’s the fact that I have someone now and she doesn’t have to worry about offending me.

Mom turns toward us smiling her eyes already dilated from her red wine. She has never been a decent drinker but for some reason the wine is hitting the spot deeper than before. Ben always used to complain about how big of a light weight she was.

She grins grabbing her wine glass again and tipping the end toward her mouth. Another huge gulp enters her mouth before her throat gives a sign that it’s gone down.

She smiles placing the glass back on the table before she grins showing her teeth and I cringe as she opens her mouth to begin the story, “Well, I’m sure Laura has explained that I was on the set of Remember Me for my friend Pierce Brosnan. He needed an immediately assistant. His company had apparently fired the one already on set because of some incident on set. I was in California at the time about to get on the plane for Paris where another one of my clients needed me quickly.

“It was such a crazy thing; I was already on the flight when I my boss called, telling me Pierce was on the other line. He knew that Brosnan was a real good friend but that he paid top dollar. He was in need of a new assistant immediately and at short notice, he already knew my payment, which was tripled for the duration of the film. It was already half way through the film and it was incredibly short notice that he had to beg me to come.

“I had to explain that another of my clients was in Paris in need of a dress for an evening on the town. He told me that I should try to get another person out there and that he was already in New York filming. I was already in a plane and would be there in a couple hours. He was already at the last minute and any other agency for assistants would charge him ten times more than me, which he had already tripled for me already. I told him that I would come for a couple of months, as that was how much he paid. If it went longer than that, he needed to get someone else. He quickly agreed and we got off the phone but I had to explain the situation to my boss, which he wasn’t too happy about.

The client in Paris was high paid actor and it’s not easy telling them that someone else will be coming. My boss had to be vague on why I had changed my plans while another person was coming instead. It wasn’t the best communication between us all.”

Mom turned toward Robert smiling brightly, “I had heard about the Twilight movies, but I hadn’t watched them. One of my clients had a couple of kids that loved the series of books. I had only seen a couple of partials of posters about the movie but he didn’t seem all that,” she turns around toward us her hand still intertwined with Robert’s, “Anyway, it was night by the time I arrived in New York. I had to call the apartment duplex for my apartments, which wasn’t easy. The manager might be a good friend but she hates being notified last minute. I had to quickly find the secret location of the set and find Pierce. It wasn’t easy but once I found the dressing rooms, I could hear his yelling toward other assistants. I came into the room and he just breathed a sigh of relief. I had everyone out in two minutes of arriving. I had to talk with make up artists and wardrobe people from everything. No one was communicating and that night I had a typical long night.