[Chapter 21]

Chapter 21

January 1, 2011

The light streaming in through the curtains awakes me in the worst way possible. A groan comes from my mouth as my hand comes to my face attempting to block out the horrible brightness. My eyes aren’t even open and the light is streaming behind my eyelids.

A chuckle sounds from a few feet away causing me to groan louder. The sound echoes against my ears causing my head to pound harder and suddenly my stomach churns. My eyes pop open as I sit bolt upright sliding from the bed straight into the bathroom. I bypass the light reaching for the lid of the toilet and leaning over.

I close my eyes hoping to avoid seeing the horrible remnants of my night in New York City.

“I thought you were kidding when you said you’re a light-weight…” I hear Kimi say behind me at the bathroom door causing me to roll my eyes.

Annie’s giggles sound from behind her, “She’s not a light-weight, Kimi. She drank some straight liquor last night. Don’t forget now that she drank some hard stuff with Robert. Tequila shots can be pretty hardcore for someone not used to it.”

I groan finally finishing with the toilet reaching up flushing the toilet. I grab ahold of the counter pulling my body to my feet. I quickly wash my hands as Kimi or Annie flips on the light. I groan at the brightness from the overhead light as I try to locate my toothbrush.

A hand comes up grabbing the brush in the first try handing it to me as I see Annie. She smiles at me but something in her eyes say differently, “I found some Aspirin if you want some. Kimi’s trying to cook some fried foods to soak up the alcohol.”

I nod quickly squeezing out some toothpaste on my toothbrush. The toothpaste isn’t the best in the world but it’ll do. I brush my teeth hoping to get rid of the horrid taste in my mouth so that I don’t have to use mouthwash. I rinse my mouth out sighing as I toss the brush back to the cabinet walking out of the bathroom.

Glancing down I notice I’m still in the dress from last night which only causes me to groan shaking my head. My feet are bare which is a slight relief. I find my phone before walking out of the bedroom. Considering I’m hung-over, it took me longer to realize that Gabe isn’t in the room with me. The familiar smell of his aftershave or cologne was stale and I could barely smell it, which told me it was leftover from his shower the night before. He obviously didn’t sleep in the room with me last night.

I make my way into the kitchen smell bacon and sausage on the stove. Annie sits on a barstool at the island as I take a seat beside her.

“Where’s Gabe? The cologne smell in the bedroom is old. Did he not sleep in the room with me last night?”

Kimi shakes her head from her place at the stove while Annie frowns sighing, “Gabe fell asleep on the couch and we didn’t want to wake him. He wasn’t here when we woke this morning. We woke at nine and it’s eleven now. He hasn’t been back yet and we haven’t heard from Carl.”

I frown shaking my head groaning, “Something’s up with him. He just doesn’t want to talk about it. Whatever. When he gets back, we’re going to have a talk. I’ll deal with the results afterward.”