[Chapter 3]

Chapter 3

I sigh shaking my head at Kimi as she grins at Annie. We are all packing for Thanksgiving break. It’s Sunday now and Gabe and I are going to my grandmother’s house while Annie and Kimi are headed to the airport.

Annie shakes her head at Kimi grabbing her shirt from Kimi’s suitcase. Kimi has been trying to steal a couple of Annie’s shirts to wear at her moms. I can see the excitement on Annie’s face since her mom’s in town for Thanksgiving. She’s told me before that her mom was hardly ever home before for Thanksgiving and she used to have to go to her aunt’s house out of town if she wanted a Thanksgiving meal. Most of the time her Aunt would be too full and she’d have to stay home alone for Thanksgiving. She’s even told me of times she spent with Blake on Thanksgiving eating turkey sandwiches and watching TV. Those times were her favorite Thanksgiving times. Blake seems like such a great older brother. I wished I had gotten to know him more before Ben killed him.

I sigh looking down at my suitcase. Gabe is due here any minute with his truck to take me to my grandmother’s house. We won’t be going to my mom’s until tomorrow since we are going out of the way for my Momaw’s house. Karen and the kids are all going to be at home since Momaw’s spending Thanksgiving with them.

Personally, I would prefer just attending Thanksgiving at Aunt Karen’s house instead of mom’s house. It’s going to be so completely awkward that I can’t even imagine.

Kimi suddenly waves her hand in front of my face causing me to jump glaring at her, “What was that for Kimi?”

She giggles shrugging her shoulders, “I had to get your attention some kind of way. I want to know if I could possibly borrow those heels you wore to the party on Friday?”

I sigh shrugging my shoulders, “Sure, whatever you want, Kimi.”

She grins squealing pulling me to her chest, “Thanks so much, Laura. I can totally wear these at Thanksgiving.”

I smile nodding leaning against my bed. My suitcases are stacked on top of each other on the floor. I glance up toward Annie to see her sitting on top of her suitcase groaning.

Her eyes connect with mine, and she smiles, “Mind giving me a hand? I can’t seem to zip my suitcase.”

I smile giggling as I push myself off my bed walking toward her on the bottom bunk. She looks ridiculous sitting on top of her overly packed suitcase.

“You do realize you’re only going to be there at the most a week?”

She rolls her eyes, “Of course. My mother wants a few of my clothes for some of my cousins. I don’t wear everything anyway so I thought it would be great to get rid of these things.”

I shrug nodding my head and grabbing the zipper. Annie pushes down on the top a little bit more as I pull the zipper around the bag. She quickly slides down from the suitcase grinning, “Thanks Laura. I would have never gotten to on my own.”

I nod, “No problem.”

Suddenly I hear a bunch of huffing causing me to turn around to see Kimi walking toward her suitcase. I shake my head seeing the huge pile of clothes in her hands as she drops them in her suitcase.

“Why does everything we are staying at home for months instead of just a week?”

Kimi turns her head glaring at me, “It’s not that easy to look amazing for seven days. Not all of us have guys kissing the floor we walk on.”

I roll my eyes, “When are you two going to get some new material?”

Annie giggles from behind me, “When it’s no longer the truth.”