[Chapter 25]

Chapter 25

The next morning I woke thanks to the bright sunlight streaming in through the windows. I could hear noises in the house almost as if mom and Sarah were doing something together. I groaned rolling over and checking the digital clock on my bedside table.

9:16 am.

I rolled my eyes stuffing my head deep in my pillow and pulling the cover over my head. Couldn’t they understand that I wanted some sleep? I didn’t go to bed last night until after one in the morning and then I’m not sure what time mom went to bed last night. I know Robert was still awake when I went to bed. The flight had taken a lot out of me last night and the grilled cheese just didn’t give me enough energy. I had gotten on the internet last night hoping to fix the online college stuff but my counselor hadn’t added me to the roster.

Suddenly I heard a bang from Sarah’s room sounding as if she slammed a drawer of her dresser. I groaned tossing the cover from my body sliding to the edge of the bed. I just wanted to go back to sleep. The high I had last night had officially worn off. I wasn’t sure if I could even face Sarah this morning after my episode last night. Standing up to her made me feeling strong and confident but she had proof of my problems while I didn’t have very much proof.

How could I prove that Sarah was Starry Night from my phone? Starry Night never said anything incriminating about that. I suppose tracking the number would have been enough proof but I’m so sure anymore.

I stand to my feet walking around the bed into the bathroom. I quickly do my business before standing in front of the mirror after washing my hands. I could still hear the commotion from Sarah’s room but it didn’t sound like she was coughing as Robert had said before. I quickly washed my face in an effort to wake myself up. I should be used to waking so early after being up all night as I’ve done it plenty of times back at the dorm with Kimi and Annie.

Even though I’m dressed in long sleeve and pants pajamas, it’s still freezing in the house. I grab my robe after pulling on a pair of black star slippers stepping out of my room. The doors to both Mom and Sarah’s rooms were wide open with bright light shining into the hallway. I stood in front of mom’s room taking in the mess strewn across her bed of clothes and shoes.

“Mom?”

I heard a huff and then she appeared from her secret room in the wall. Her eyes widen as she shook her head, “I’m so sorry, Laura. I completely forgot you were sleeping…”

I shrug yawning, “It’s alright. I don’t think you woke me. I believe it was Sarah.”

Mom walks around her bed dressed in a while silk robe, “I tried not to make too much noise. There is still so much to do for the wedding. Sarah wants out of the house so we’re both going to do some shopping around town. We’ll probably be gone all day and most of the night. Robert agreed to stay home with you as he didn’t want to go shopping anyway.”

I nod just as a body bumps into me, “Excuse me. You’re in the way.”

I sidestep allowing Sarah in the room as she speeds toward mom’s collection of shoes in her closet. I shake my head as mom stares toward Sarah’s figure in the closet, “Sarah, what are you doing?”

Sarah sighs tightening her own robe around her waist, “I don’t have any boots in my collection. All I have is sneakers, flats, and heels. It’s still fucking snowing outside and I’m sick. I need some cover for my feet.”

Mom and Sarah start bickering about the shoes and I take that as my cue to get out of the firing zone. I take the stairs entering the living room to see the TV on but no one in the room. I move to the kitchen where I find Robert dressed in a pair of flannel pants and a dark blue shirt. He didn’t look very awake either telling me mom must have woken him too.